k10 egr removal

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
when i do this on my engine im getting a plate cnc made from a contact to cover hole where the egr valve used to be in the inlet manifold, this means you wont have to block the hole in the head if you switch to a non-egr manifold, could be useful to people putting custom manifolds on.

how many people would be interested if i can get them produced at a reasonable price.
obviously i'll supply paid members with a small discount, you could class it as a group buy but im gather interest as i dont think many people will want one.
also this isnt comfirmed yet i need to get one made and see what its like but ive been told his work is 110% on everything he does

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
Great I wanted to get an EGR blanking plate but I couldn't find a commercially produced one and I don't have the tools for it. It's not like I care about emissions anyways. If you can get it done for a reasonable price I'm in.

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
not sure what you mean mate, when i removed all that crap from my super s and put on a normal k10 inlet i didn't have to blank anything off... what bit do you mean?

OP
OP
Fordy

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
ive been told theres some times a hole in the head which when you put a normal inlet on part of the hole shows past the flange and makes a leak

but even if you dont have a hole its easier and cheaper for some of use to blank it off than be able to go to our local scrappy to get an inlet manifold

like me for instance ive got to travel 30 miles to get a scrap yard with a k10 in these days, as my local scrappys either say theres no money in keeping old cars anymore or finding a k10 in a scrappy is a next to no chance

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
I used to get engines from a company that supplied them with a small round bung of about 12mm and you just hammered it in the hole, job done it would block the EGR on cars it was not needed.

OP
OP
Fordy

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
basically a core plug lol

well i know what way im doing mine and i can get a plate made for near enough for free so i'd rather not mess around taking manifolds on and off,

i'll post an update when i get the plate and see what people think

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
I want to blank off my EGR because the hot exhaust gasses back into the inlet kill performance, my manifold will stay standard until I get more funds, this is a cheap power boosting mod, go for it people. The slight gains in the higher rev range will be way more than any exhaust work for the same price.

OP
OP
Fordy

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
you will also have to block off the egr pipe that runs from the egr valve to the stock exhaust manifold aswell, this can be done with a welder or finding a right size bolt

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
I'm told you can rip out the whole EGR system, although it needs to be re-fitted come MOT time. I'll get the haynes manual and have a look at this pipe you're talking about. By blocking the EGR you can get an extra 4 horses some claim :D

OP
OP
Fordy

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
you wont need it come mot, emissions can be adjusted down, the pipe i mean is the small one on the drivers side of the engine bay that goes from the manifold to the valve,

there is also another pipe on the passener side that goes to the air pan but im sure you can block this with a bottle cork and a jubilee clip

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
ok thanks, I guess it's the exhaust side of the pipe I need to block? I know the theory well enough but I have never worked on a nissan engine before. The only power boost I have done is advance the timing 5 degrees for a better throttle response.

Pictures will be good coz im confused....

Is this a plate for the inlet manifold to cyclinder head....or a plate for somwhere else on the inlet manifold?

From this and other threads it seems that there are 3 varients of EGR system
is this right?

1) No EGR (<My MA10> stock inlet manifold blocks the inletside EGR port in the head completely and the exahust side head EGR port is CAST with the port blanked, the exhaus manifold includes a channel from ehaist outpou ti exhause EGR input port in the head)

2) EGR 1 (EGR valve fitted EXTERNAL to the engine)

3) EGR 2 (EGR valve INTERNAL to the head)

There is also PCV sytem on mine. Is there PCV on all EGR engines too?

Having said all that, can you add me to your list as a custom inlet is inevitable...just a matter of time

Cheers

OP
OP
Fordy

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
i will go get pictures its easier for people to understand then

not the best pictures but they will do

egr valve in inlet manifold, this is where the plate will go

egr pipe from exhaust manifold to egr vavle, this one needs blocking at exhaust manifold

other pipe from exhaust manifold to air pan can stay in place if not changing exhaust manifold

rubber pipe that joins other pipe to air pan, this is where cork will go in

the is another valve on the passenger side under the air pan that a pipe from the egr valve goes to i might remove this completly or i might just block the pipe off i'll see when i do it

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
I'll have to have another look, I'm now not entirely sure I have an EGR valve, lol. I was just assuming I would have. I'll check 2moz.

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
ive been told theres some times a hole in the head which when you put a normal inlet on part of the hole shows past the flange and makes a leak

but even if you dont have a hole its easier and cheaper for some of use to blank it off than be able to go to our local scrappy to get an inlet manifold

like me for instance ive got to travel 30 miles to get a scrap yard with a k10 in these days, as my local scrappys either say theres no money in keeping old cars anymore or finding a k10 in a scrappy is a next to no chance

oh i know what you mean now mate :) after ed mentioned the plug i recall getting one with an engine i ordered once :p

WOW Fordy!

those pictures have blown me away! totally new to me
(All these years into K10 and Ive never seen this kit on an MA10...and its not in the haynes either)

Was this on both of your K10s?

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
the MA10 does not have any emissions related stuff on it. It only came on late 1.2 Super S and SLX models.

OP
OP
Fordy

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
some import ma10s have it fitted,

its rather cool but on these age of engines its not needed at all, same as 300zx engines people remove the egr on them aswell as its just point less

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Well it does reduce the amount of NOx emissions, which are pretty nasty, but its not required for the MOT.