to all turbo owners.

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
i am still in the process of gathering up prices etc for the complete turbo set up. from datrats i will be getting the clutch and flywheel. although the radiator that was recomended to me isnt really necessary in the UK...is it?

does anyone have any high lift cams on there modified turbo set up. just thinking of saving a little money thats all. i will be having a engine rebuild but was thinging of just forged pistons and rods. my cams will be fine wont they. not that much power gain, surley not significantley noticable with a turbo set up anyway?

i am also buying a 1.3 micra with power sterring froma scrappy so mine wont be off the road, simply replace the engines once engine rebuild complete. although at present i am trying to save a little money. is it really nesassary for the radiator and cams.

also does anyone recommend anything from mulholland to go with my turbo set up.

does anyone know were a manifold can be made up or bought of the shelf for a turbo set up on a k11. will this work:

cisco

» CMF Member
Definately get cams out of the picture for your first up conversion phase.

My cams are 100% stock. and pulled 137kw@wheels (over 200hp at the fly).

You don't need to replace them unless you have your turbo conversion all in place and are then looking at things that you might want to improve/tweak based on existing results. Your car will absolutely HAUL with just a decent turbo conversion regardless of cams.

With non-VVT cars, I'd always prefer to leave my cams as stock kind of average-compromise cams anyway. Too high lift and you have nothing low down, too low down and you have nothing high up. For the street: just leave 'em I reckon.

Radiator. Well if you are running some decent boost and using it a fair bit, an upgraded radiator becomes pretty important. Much more important than cams. The cooling system of an engine is one of the most critical parts - if it fails at all, you can throw everything away - a big expensive waste. Diff between UK and Oz is just ambient temp. Say on average it might be 15 deg over there and 25 here. Its really only a 10 deg difference at most. All the heat comes from the engine, the ambient temp is just a small constant difference. You would still heat up a hard working turbocharged engine almost as quickly in the UK if you work it hard. I would look into radiators. All depends on what boost levels you are running. For say under 10psi then I can say you will be pretty much fine. Blue monster in Oz had a hacked/reduced factory radiator, and it was fine. But now on my bigger boost setup, this radiator c00ked and warp3d. So now im going to most likely get a new datrats alloy one and a get a whole new manifold and dump pipe so I clear a datrats radiator.

Mulholland is awesome, but very much NA focused. Maybe they have pre-made manifolds or something which are available all the time etc. I know they also do some kind of upgraded micra fuel rail which looks pretty good. Not sure sorry..

cisco

» CMF Member
I'm honestly not an expert.

But I would say, if you are going to spend most of your time above 5000rpm, then go for the highest duration and lift.

Otherwise you probably want a more reasonable street cam like the beautiful factory nissan stock ones!

Turbo gives you so much extra power and torque that you don't really need to touch cams. But for an NA screamer then I would prefer something pretty top end like the aspect ones.

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
I wouldn't worry overly about cams at all... Not for street anyway. Once you've got the initial setup done then you can fiddle around with cams/gears and get boost to come on a fraction earlier/later etc...

With the radiator though... It all depends

My turbo is oil cooled only, and the CHRA is right in the path of oncoming airflow. As far as my engine is concerned (cooling wise anyway) nothing is out of the ordinary. I have never once seen my temp needle go over half way since I have had the car back, and I've been giving it stick. However if your turbo is oil and water cooled you will most likely need to upgrade the radiator then as the water temps will be alot higher.

Sean

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Family Hack has oil cooled turbo and standrad radiator. Never ever seen temp gauge rise above normalsummer or winter.
I think below say 10psi you would be okay but if I lived in the tropics I would upgrade.Ambient temp. is the key.
White Knight has upgraded radiator but that is supercharged and pulls 12.5psi.
High lift cams?? On a NA project for sure.Forced would be long way down list as something to do.
White Knight runs Datrats high lift cams but until she goes back for a final dyno hard to say.
There seems to be a bit of a lift around the 5000 rpm but hard to say .
Maybe another option is to look at say a Davies Craig electric water pump.
Would improve performance as well.

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
i had my temp sensor changed since the jap motor's one was on a different scale to my aus-gauge.

its actually quite good now I can see it change from cold, to warm up to around the middle when i fang it..to back down to something low when im crusing around

very helpful...maybe people should try it too..change the sensor on the engine for the temp gauge

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah my temp sensor was swapped also.

I think he put the aussie spec sensor into my Japanese engine head. That way its calibration matched the aussie gauge or something. I think that's right..

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
does any one else know of any other links like the one above. ive never visited that or the mullholand one. am enquiring about the head gaskets now. does anyone also now were i can get this from and does it fit as good as it looks.

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
yes the 3 gauge cup holder. do you know were i can get it. and if you have any micra related links like mulholand and the one a few posts back, i would be greatful for them.

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
i have a 2 gauge holder on my A pillar, the one above on the a pillar isnt custom made for a micra tho....is it. i had to cut mine to shape, looks alright tho. just thought that thee was one out there made for the micra.

Back