tinting spray

danmicra

Ex. Club Member
iv picked up some tinting spray for my rear lights, iv heard that if you cover the reflectors its an MOT fail? is that true?

and if it is could u just stick on a reflective strip some where eles because the cars blue an a huge red line on a blue car.......... na not gona work?

can anyone help me out?

cheers for any help
dan

It is indeed an MOT failure,

not 100% sure on this, I think u can, aslong as u have some rear reflectors on the back, it'll be alright on the MOT

danmicra said:
iv picked up some tinting spray for my rear lights, iv heard that if you cover the reflectors its an MOT fail? is that true?

Don't tak my word for it, but im pretty sure they don't look for that on your MoT.

Lol Ollie, I'll find out from dad, hes a ex mech...*Walks away*

He said more to do with colour fwn, So im guessing he would be more worried about the actully brake lights themselve more then the relectors.

D4R73N said:
Don't tak my word for it, but im pretty sure they don't look for that on your MoT.

Probably depends on how strict the test centre is!!! Just don't go to the 1 I went 2!!! Complete #@*&%$£!!!!!!

orite cheers guys ill pop into the local mot place the moro and ask just to make sure.

cheers again
dan

It will/should fail without having the reflectors covered, depends how tinted your going to do them. Aslong as there are reflectors on the back though it should pass.

can you get the tint spray off easy enough? using something to remove it? wouldnt mind trying to do it to mine but dont wanna mess up the march lights if it looks rubbishfwn

You MUST have red reflectors on the rear of the vehicle, you can NOT use stick on reflectors for the MOT, they MUST be a permanent fixture to the vehicle

Beg to differ Phil (unless by permanent you mean stuck on), passed MOT with clear rear lights and stick on refelctors on the boot, but again, most likely it'll be the pickiness of the place you go

" Reflective tape is not acceptable as a substitute for a rear reflector."

"e. securely fitted

f. not obviously incorrectly positioned."

"1. Check that the required amount of reflectors are fitted.

2. Check that the reflectors are

a. facing to the rear
b. the correct colour
c. in good working order and clean condition"

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_140.htm

taking your car to "metal mik" down the road and having a dodgy mot done doesnt mean that your car is legal.....

one collegue at work decided to make a trip to a mate with a testing bay,,,,, had two bald tyres, no working rear lights, blowing smoke out of the back (valve seals) leaking rear offside shock, snapped handbrake cable, rear wheel bearings, all knakered....

yet it managed to pass with flying colours........if he had been stopped outside the garage by anyone from VOSA or the police he could have been prosicuted for driving a car in an un roadworthy state.....yet he had just passed an mot?

my dad has since shut the garage down and revoked its mot testing status...

get it done properly...and if they say something needs doing....go and do it...it could save your life..

spoke to the guy tha does my mots an he said aslong as all ur lights are working an can be seen its not a fail

mine were jet black with no reflectors to be seen anywhere, went through no bother, i then had clear rear lights for the next MOT and stuck two reflectors on the bumper and it went through fine....

I then removed these reflectors. I got pulled over a couple of weeks later because the red bulbs i had had gone pink and number plate wasnt lit properly so i had to change that but the copper who scrutinised the car never said anything about reflectors

Back