THINK! - mobile phones: Switch off before you drive off

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
Penalty Update - 27 February 2007

New legislation to increase the penalty for using a hand-held phone whilst driving will come into force on 27 February 2007. The current fine of £30 will increase to £60 and three penalty points on your licence. Penalty points can mean higher insurance costs. If you get six points within two years of passing your test, your licence will be revoked and you will need to re-sit the test. If the case goes to court, you could risk a maximum fine of £1,000, which rises to £2,500 for the driver of a bus, coach, or heavy goods vehicle.

A driver can also be prosecuted for using a hands-free device if you are not in proper control of your vehicle when using the device. The penalties are the same - £60 fine and three points on your licence.

If you are an employer you can be prosecuted if you require employees to make or receive mobile calls while driving. It is an offence to cause or permit the use of a hand-held mobile phone when driving. It is also an offence to cause or permit a driver not to have proper control of a vehicle.

Callers also play an important role in keeping the roads safe. If the person you are speaking to is driving, please terminate the call and arrange to speak to them later.

Why are the penalties going up?

It is hard to do two things at once and research has shown that if you are using a mobile phone whilst driving, you are four times more likely to have a crash.
In fact, if you use any type of mobile be it hands free or hands held, your reaction times are worse than if you were driving under the influence of alcohol. Tests have shown that reaction times for drivers using a hand-held phone slows reactions by 50% when compared to normal driving and by 30% when compared to being drunk (Direct Line Mobile Phone Report 2002).
The use of a mobile phone often involves distractions which could be visual, auditory, mental or physical (Direct Line Mobile Phone Report 2002).
Even if you're a careful driver, it's easy to be distracted by a phone call or text message - and that split second lapse in concentration could result in a crash.
Direct Line Mobile Phone Report 2002 summary.
Are there any exceptions?

A driver may call 999 or 112 in response to a genuine emergency.
Two-way radios are not covered by this offence but other devices for sending or receiving data are included if they are held while driving, i.e a PDA, Blackberry or similar device.
A multi-media campaign will be starting on 22 January to support the increase in penalties. Activity will include TV, national press, radio and online advertising on key sites. In addition to this, there will be continued PR work with employers, professional bodies, the Police and Road Safety Officers.

Should have included points & higher fine from the beginning! I just dont get why if they want to clamp down on it so much, have such crap penalties for it. Make it 12 points, so you cant and wont do it full stop. If you get caught, your banned full stop. Soon see a cut down then

Should have included points & higher fine from the beginning! I just dont get why if they want to clamp down on it so much, have such crap penalties for it. Make it 12 points, so you cant and wont do it full stop. If you get caught, your banned full stop. Soon see a cut down then

because the punishment isnt justified by the crime

thats like saying just give the death penalty for every crime so we will live in a crime free society

it aint a dictatorship even though its starting to look like one

thats like saying just give the death penalty for every crime so we will live in a crime free society

it aint a dictatorship even though its starting to look like one

totally agree mate this is another way for the cops/government to make more money from fines its the people with no licencse/insurance or proper criminals that they should be after instead of chasin taxpayers for a 60pound fine.

So why the hype? Why the extra police on the roads since the penalty was upgraded! surely they should be out doing other things anyway?

If you drive wrecklessly, you should be banned. I dont see why someone who's driving a potential weapon on the roads, can have three warnings before they're banned on the 4th offence. It only takes one phone call & one crash to cause fatalities & casualties.

Its along the lines of drink drivers, your consentration has gone while under the influence - they get banned, so how come not consentrating on the roads while using a phone be different

I hear they are going to start using cameras to zoom in on people who have a phone in hand.. like the box junction cameras which can zoom and take a pic of your face... and I'm glad to hear that the cops around here are going to be more strict about it.. they've already caught a few just by waiting in a patrol vehicle and watching cars go past.

So why the hype? Why the extra police on the roads since the penalty was upgraded! surely they should be out doing other things anyway?

If you drive wrecklessly, you should be banned. I dont see why someone who's driving a potential weapon on the roads, can have three warnings before they're banned on the 4th offence. It only takes one phone call & one crash to cause fatalities & casualties.

Its along the lines of drink drivers, your consentration has gone while under the influence - they get banned, so how come not consentrating on the roads while using a phone be different

but you could say that about anybody whos ever been at fault in an accident.
"they weren't giving their full attention to driving lets ban them" it just wouldnt work

YES and Yes again...I am not condoning drink driving by ANY means but the government is really milking the morals argument here...the same goes for SPEED

"SPEED" and "ALCOHOL" are significant contributers to life changing accidents but there are facors such as "ATTITUDE" & "COMMON SENSE" that also have a massive influence on the probabillity of causing a crash

the problem for the government with these types of topics is that they are virtually impossible to MEASURE, ENFORCE, or ENCAPSULATE

Totally agnoying

sorry for rant

IMO the biggest problem with the mobile phone example is not that you're holding something in your hand (or not if hands free)....BUT that your mind is on the conversation and not on what could be developing around you

Auto pilot driving is P...-Easy but LETHAL....even with no distractions at all it is actually quite tricky to do a complete drive without day dreaming (even for just a second or two)

As soon as you are in a day dream or your mind is elsewhere...auto pilot is on...and its only a matter of time befor there is an RTA

but you could say that about anybody whos ever been at fault in an accident.
"they weren't giving their full attention to driving lets ban them" it just wouldnt work

It depends on the reason for the accident, i mean if you get dazzled by someones lights, cant see and crash, its not your fault you were dazzled, but nobody else is to blame when it comes to picking up a mobile phone

what so someone whos having a conversation with a passenger should be banned to, Or having there mind elsewhere (family, work etc) or driving whilst tired?

I actually agree that driving whilst on the phone is not a good idea i jsut think that bannning people for it is extreme.

driving whilst on a mobile is nothing compared to speeding i think, i think instead of introducing 3 points maybe 1 point is given and if caught again then more points and a heavier fine, the easiest thing is not to have a license and get on a bus everywhere which is inconvenient as ####, you'll save your life maybe others and a hell of a lot of cash ;)

It's not just mobile phones though, this should be common sense to people, but it's the fact that people get away with it that makes it a problem. It's just as bad to drink water, smoke, use a phone or a GPS system while on the move......route through your bag, fiddle with the radio........I saw a guy in a brand new M3 last night on my way to Wembley for a Keane concert driving in the right handlane with his left indicator on.........didn't move so I had to pass him on the inside to make my turn. The reason why he didn't respond to my flash, (not that you should use your lights for that anyway), was because he was using his mobile phone with NO HANDS ON THE WHEEL!!

I say fine people to the teeth. Banning would cause too many problems and appeals and waste too much court money, as people would complain it ruined their jobs etc........perhaps we should bring back the stocks or bring in public caning......that would stop people, bit harsh for this but this country is spiraling out of control in quite a few areas.

Back