The expanding job. - how to remove rear window demister switch wiring?

CMF_queazocotal

» CMF Member
I go to replace a broken airflow selector switch - and get a new heater panel on ebay.

Of course, I then find that the haynes manual isn't quite accurate, and the fascia is one big plastic lump.
I've now got it 99% free - and it's about to come out, barring the wiring to the rear window demister, and emergency flasher switch.
In my model, this is surrounded by two airvents.

I simply cannot remove the wires - and am contemplating the 'easy' way - cut and solder extensions on later.
How are they removed?

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
there is a little pin on each switch, it is murder to get lose but it is well worth the sweat now because soldering is such a confined place would also be murder. just look cause they are there.

CMF_queazocotal

» CMF Member
Thanks.
I'll have another go tomorrow.
I was thinking more get the facia out and onto the bench, solder on a nice long length of wire, possibly with a socket in the middle, and do the same on the car without the facia on.

CMF_queazocotal

» CMF Member
Of course, it turns out that if you know how to do it, it's 5 seconds.
Instead of struggling with the connectors, you ignore them totally, push (from the back) the switch body up/out, and it simply unhooks.
Now, pass the switch through the opening, and undo the easy to access connector.

/me removes cut, blood-soaked fingers from keyboard, and hits 'transmit'.

Back