lump gone!!

Raceworx

IM BRINGING SEXY BACK
Well had more fun with the micra today. got the lump out

PICT0099.jpg

PICT0101.jpg

PICT0103.jpg

Cheeeeeez!!

i went to the bog and found trommans in this possition on return! i knew he liked nissans but!
PICT0098.jpg

new engine in situe:- im going for a green conversion to save on fuel costs

PICT0104.jpg

Thread has been pruned of all off topic posts. Please keep post on track with topic.

Racework's which engine are you going for?

Mike

RE: RE: lump gone!!

Raceworx said:
Thanks mike lol i am going for an SR20DE from a p11 primera GT.

cool, are you doing all the work yourself? what you doing about drive shafts?

mmm 150 BHP micra, good luck dude :)

yes im doing the work myself. getting the lump in there isnt the hard part iv got a feeling messin around with all the wires is gona be a ****!
As for drive shafts i know a place near chesterfield that make them up so shouldnt be too much of a problem.

overall project aims are to run 200-230BHP n/A, set the suspention up and have some fun! then if i get board flog that lump and drop in an SR20DET but thatll be a few years away.

is that on a gt/gti based sr20 neil or a standard sr20? when the mods are done like for like on both engines does the bhp even out between the 2 or will the gt/gti engine still have the edge. what was done to get 177bhp. i take it cams and piggyback chip and air filter setup and exhaust with high flow manifold and a pbv+ bigger injectors?

i dont know bout insurance yet. i wanna get her built.

Mods will be hotshots header, Throtle bodies, emerald ECU, HKS mushrom filter, Piper cams, tomei 2.2 liter high comp stroker kit.

nice one! and get plenty of fuel in their uprated pump and injectors for sure yes? and optimax last but not least!

yeah 720CC bosch injectors and an uprated fuel pump. as for optimax ll see about that im 99% sure the emerald ECU can swithch bettween 2 fuel grades. we shall see! lets see if the the standard lump runs first.

great. if the emerald turns out too pricey the unichip can do the dual maps aswell. and you can pick them up for £50 on ebay if your lucky.

Raceworx said:
yes im doing the work myself. getting the lump in there isnt the hard part iv got a feeling messin around with all the wires is gona be a ****!
As for drive shafts i know a place near chesterfield that make them up so shouldnt be too much of a problem.

lol. thats what i thought!!!
thats what george thought!

wait and see ;)

Raceworx said:
yeah 720CC bosch injectors and an uprated fuel pump. as for optimax ll see about that im 99% sure the emerald ECU can swithch bettween 2 fuel grades. we shall see! lets see if the the standard lump runs first.

Raceworx. Why on earth do you have 720 cc injectors for a NA SR20?! 300-350cc would be more than enough. Youll never get duty cycles above about 40%, and you risk issues with poor idle. This is definately a case of too much of a good thing. I have done a fair amount of work on SR20 engines (DET) with over 500bhp. 700cc injectors were used for this. Please be realistic, large numbers may impress some but to others it just looks stupid. Without a doubt your going to need alot of dyno time and money to get anywhere near 230bhp.

230BHP is a lot from an NA SR20DE. The most that people talk about on the SR20 forums is 200WHP, and that is with loads of dyno time and money spent. It also means your engine doesn't like idling much.

Why not drop an SR20DET in straight away? With the mods you are talking - Tomei stroker kit (£1400+ ??), Piper Cams (£200 each ?), the other bits, the machining on it, the assembly... the cost can't be that much more for the hot turbo which can easily do 300BHP?

it will be a lot of £K to get that power, but if the project is for an a NA screamer instead of turbo and money is not the point then all is fine. if had a choice between two 2.0 k11 i would rather own a 230bhp na powered version than a 300 bhp turbocharged.
a scale of the price of the na engines is quite large a sr20de block which has done 290bhp of work done on it will cost around £10k 2nd hand.

talking of engine prices there has been a 2004 350z 3.5 na v6 280bhp unit for sale on ebay, comes with gearbox and ecu and wiring etc. they want about £3k for it, has done 500 miles. reasonable price for what your getting. this fitted in a rwd k11 would be...nice.

My mate sold his 500bhp block for about £2800 i think. It may have been less. I think that was including all the electronics to go with it. Beachboy have you ever personally driven a turbo car? Or experienced a real high power turbo car? It makes you want to leave NA behind for ever.

maybe he enjoys the challenge and fulfilment of building a big bhp NA car that if driven properly, can beat turbos! Or maybe turbos are too much work and its easier in the long run to go NA...

Sorry but the mods u have listed arent going to get you to 230bhp. Ur probably looking at about 180-190 max, there are 2 main cars that i know of on the aoc running over 200bhp, one is dbull's drag car runnin a fair wack but nearly everything on the lump has been changed and it has nos, and the other is running a gtir lump.

i know it will be alot of work and money. the big injectors mean i dont have to mes around buying 2 setts im still toying with the idea of turboing it. the TB conversion iv found allows for both. as iv said this is way in the future! gota get the lump in there first! ill worry about specfics of tunning it once its in and running!

SETBACK 1!!!!
Iv just given the guy who rang me about the engine a ring back and got some dodgy guy, who i couldnt understand sayin who are you? explained and said id spoken to a guy called john about and SR20 motor then he said from what. so i said primera P11 GT! then he said no no engine and put the phone down!! nice customer service there! so im on the hunt!!

Anyone know of one going spre give me a PM.

ed i've been in a turbo celica and a na lotus. both quick cars. i just prefer na, and the sound of an na engine. why is turbo better? it comes down to what you enjoy being in. when you have enough power already in a na powered sports car, why go turbo?

i would challenge anybody with a high powerd yurbo car in a small light N/A power car to a race on a nice tight county roadevery ! and whats as the lag and unresponsive ness means they flounder after every low sped corner! i want a responsive track car! good power to weight, instant throttle response. anything over 250BHP is not worth it as the front wheels will struggle for traction. to be honest you can all sit here nay saying but ill be as happy as larry thrashing it around!

why didnt nissan put a cheaper 2.0 turbo in the 350z rather than an na 3.5 v6? nissan obviously havent driven a turbo car recently. lol.
nah. NA is where my heart is and high rpm, love it.

Beachboy said:
why didnt nissan put a cheaper 2.0 turbo in the 350z rather than an na 3.5 v6?

Because the VQ35DE is a better engine when stock :) In the market the 350Z is aimed at, you need an engine that will keep most people happy. A 2.0 turbo producing the same amount of power will always be that little bit closer to breaking and not as easy to drive. And there is no replacement for displacement, after all. It's been on Ward's top ten engines for 11 years, which says quite a lot as well.

yes its a real nice engine. i love the 350z. if i had the money to own one and tune i wouldnt do the twin turbo or supercharger mod. i would spend the same money on making it more power NA. 350bhp would be reasonable ask of it. 100bhp/litre shoudnt harm it at all.

I've been in several small and very fast NA cars. I have also been in some incredibly powerfull turbo cars. Its true they both have their appeal. I think really though we all want the same thing. For me I prefer turbos, techically they are much more interesting and exciting to drive. Lag really shouldnt be made an excuse either since moden turbo cores are very responsive, matched with a well sized turbo and you suffer no problems (why do you think so many production cars are turbo now) :) Either way I think we all here wish to create our own fast fun and resposive cars. If we all did the same it would be boring :)

Ed

Just like to add as an after though another point why i like turbos. Immense torque. The kind of torque a NA car could only ever dream of. On a 4vpc engine you will only ever get about 85 lbft/litre. For the CG13 that means an upper limit NA regarless of about 108lb foot, and for a SR20 170lb foot. A well turbo'ed SR20 would be capable of exceeding 400lb foot - that is serious torque, and infact is why my mates old pular was sold for spares - the quaife gearbox could not stand the torque developed by the engine. Such a shame it never saw its full potential. How would this make you feel though, spending 3K on a gearbox that lasted 500 miles who then after that point no one would accept responsibility for the failure.

raceworks why not go with a supercharger. all the advantages of a turbo wihtout the lag. plus not as many people supercharge there car as they turbo it. 720cc injectors do seem a lot but then again im not really up on sr20de motors. or you could be the first for a 300zx twin turbo engine into the micra. i suppose u would have to have it in the back and rear wheel drive. :laugh:
the 350z engine is really well engineered and nissan have put a lot of time and money into it. this is why its being used in the new skyline (obviously a tweeked version)

turbocharged 3.5 for the gtr i have heard. so they will be turboing it after all. i dont mind.

RE: RE: lump gone!!

Beachboy said:
turbocharged 3.5 for the gtr i have heard. so they will be turboing it after all. i dont mind.

That will be like the JGTC cars then, I like :)

i would challenge anybody with a high powerd yurbo car in a small light N/A power car to a race on a nice tight county roadevery ! and whats as the lag and unresponsive ness means they flounder after every low sped corner!

I challenge you on a country road mate:)
will be fun to see wot your car is capable of..:devil:

I remember the 2.0 k11, was real fun and had instant power;)
but as every1 knows k11s handling is Shaite compared to the k10s:p

I am now hooked onto Turbo cars, tis a real Buzz:p
like Ed says about the Torque etc its just great:love:

A good example is my K10 Turbo 1.5 SOHC producing 109lbs of Torque and 123Bhp with a Cracked Head
whilst my friends Civic V-tech 1.6 DOHC produced the same figure of 109lbs and 155 Bhp
:upside:

lol we shall see my freinds K10 handels quite well. but i dont think itll out handle mine once the whiteline gear is on an set up correctly.

Back