Terrible Driving Conditions

scottish-sr

Ex. Club Member
I just got in from work and the fog is so heavy up here. Literally could only see about 1-2 metres infront of the car, never got any faster than 35mph either, was hellish.

So whats the worst conditions you have driven in then??

Once had to drive home from college in a snow storm, even the motorway had a good few inches on it and by the time I was home it was around half a foot. Best bit was trying to get up the brae into the town I stay in. Wheelspins in 3rd from a 1.1 Fez.

Driven in a couple of blizzards and rode my scooter through a thunderstorm last summer. Nothing too spectacular while driving.

However, I was a passenger in a car in America during a developing tornado a couple of years back. Almost needed clean underware afterwards. Bit off topic I know, but I was in a car, even if I wasn't driving it! :)

The snow storms here a month back. Utter madness for a couple of days.

It took me an hour to drive from Bathgate to Livingston, which is maybe 3 miles?

the only problem with the snow after christmas was that the roads weren't gritted. Never mind your cars, i was driving a 13 ton scania bus at the time, and when they start to slide, it isn't funny. However, you do get some funilly looks when your doing a good wheelspin at the traffic lights

I remember two seperate journies. One was really really heavy snow, the first time i'd driven in it.. Couldnt see the roads at all, and nearly had a few incidents! Took about an hour and a half to do a short 10 minute journey

Second one was really heavy rain, so bad that you couldnt see a thing even with the wipers working overtime, a few people had pulled over until it calmed down a bit, but i was running late for work so carried on a bit slower!

There is a road called 'devils pass'... or some silly name which links the m1 with manchester over the pennines....

Oh MY GOD.... I drove my 1st car...4door K10 through the most horrific/spectacular snow ive ever seen... flakes like cereal bowls... surreal....

going literally 5/10 mph.....

there was a blanket of snow on the roof of the car and the bonnet when we came out the other side...

the BONNET!!!

Slim said:
the only problem with the snow after christmas was that the roads weren't gritted. Never mind your cars, i was driving a 13 ton scania bus at the time, and when they start to slide, it isn't funny. However, you do get some funilly looks when your doing a good wheelspin at the traffic lights

You mean abit like this
Click here to see Video
:D:D

Yeah, that fog last night was pretty awful.

Worst time in a car was when I was a passenger and we went down a road which had 4 foot of snow on it. A massive snow plough had just cleaned it, leaving 4 foot walls of snow on each side. However, the grip was still rubbish, and the car ended up sliding down, bouncing off the sides until it got stuck. We had to wait until another guy in a van came along to help us.

All time worst experience though was in a plane. Flying a Cessna 152 in the summer and a massive rainstorm hit. They have no windscreen wipers at all, and this was ok until the airspeed decreased whilst coming in to land. I couldn't actually see anything.

i would so have pooped!

i was driving back home from dundee on wednesday and im fairly sure i was driving through cloud! fog soo dense i couldnt see a sodding thing then suddenly, nothing!

Back