Tappets

smidge

Small Car Enthusiast
Site Supporter
So gentlemen, (and ladies....)

how does one go about checking their valve clearances etc?

assume they are relatively handy with tools and have feeler gauges and the rest but have yet to do such task

any ST specific things to be aware of?

So gentlemen, (and ladies....)how does one go about checking their valve clearances etc?

assume they are relatively handy with tools and have feeler gauges and the rest but have yet to do such task

any ST specific things to be aware of?

WTF?

Anyway Marty, remove everything out of the way of the rocker cover then plumb the afm directly into the intake so the car can be started to warm up then set them,I don't adjust them to manufacturers spec as the engine sounds like a skeletin wnaking in a biscuit tin!

who's spec do you adjust them to then?!

i'm a total tappet n00b!!

hold my hand and i'll hold yours (somehow...?) okay this is getting weird, kinda like your self loving snake and his tin of cookies

who's spec do you adjust them to then?!

i'm a total tappet n00b!!

hold my hand and i'll hold yours (somehow...?) okay this is getting weird, kinda like your self loving snake and his tin of cookies

lol

I cant remember which clearance was larger(inlet valves or exhaust) but it was 0.18mm and 0.20mm and you get a nice sweet sound from the engine,has to be fully warmed up though!

Have you a haynes manual for the ma10,ma12 micra?I'm asking because there's a sequence to doing them also

Hia Mate!:)

I've done a few stock K10's and there can be a world of difference between them as far as "ease of rocker cover removal" is concerned.

If these are your first, I reccomend removing the cover cold first, (you will find out if it was stuck fast for ages <while you engine would have been losing heat> or comes of easy)...then oil-lube the seals (surfaces and securing bolts) of the rocker cover while you play:

Spend some time COLD practicing the COLD settings with some:

feelerguages,
12-point ring-spanner
the PERFECT-FIT screwdriver
...and a long ratchet on your crankshaft nut (for turning to the next set of tappets)

try to figure/memorise to some extent the pattern/sequence of the tappet adjustment order so that you dont waste heat time when it comes to the real adjustments.

Try to get the "feel" of howmuch the clearance changes by from where you want it before the locknut is tightened compared with where it ends up at after you have nipped the lock nut up.....(there's an agnoying difference)..when you tighten the locknut often the clearance reduces and the feeler guage wont even go in!!

.then when your either SICK or JUMPING WITH ENTHUSIASM .....put the lubed cover back on for your warm-up
(leave it till the next day <or 5-beers> if you had a hard time with the practicing...lol)

the engine sounds like a skeletin wnaking in a biscuit tin!

HAHHAPMSL!

The trick is to work quick and with your previous pratice you should be proficicient enough to do all 8 before the engine parts (tappets valves etc) loosed too much heat.

if youre quick and good you will get a good adjustment...if youre slow and fiddly, the parts will have chaged size quite a lot before you complete all 8... and half will be OK and half will be pants!....lol

let us know how it went mate.... :) :) :)

Rich

Back