swapping powder clutch for torque converter

Hey guys,

I've heard a few people talk about converting from CVT -> manual, often due to the seemingly doomed electromagnetic clutch with its expensive brush/holder assembly. But I haven't heard anything about swapping the electromagnetic clutch for a more conventional torque converter which kiiiiind of does the same thing. I guess... me knowing very little about the powder clutch.
And generally being a poor mechanic who takes a long time to mess up the job anyway :p

If I understand correctly, Nissan themselves started using a torque converter instead from 2001 until the end of the K11 line, perhaps for reliability's sake. Any thoughts on whether a retrofit would be even remotely possible or if I'm just being completely ridiculous? :grinning:

[edit]
Looking at this press release, it seems that they redesigned their CVT (or err... at least renamed it to "HYPER CVT" in the Japanese style, although I would have accepted "SUPER HAPPY FUN TIME CVT"). This probably takes the job well beyond "extremely difficult" into "ridiculous" territory...

Back