Supra with 1520 BHP!!

1500BHP supras are quite common in the states (when i say common i mean more than 5 lol) theres one eing built in the uk by someone i know :)

That car would be 'slow' on a track. I'm seeing this more and more now. People are tuning for peak power, which whilst impressive on paper, would be killed by a car with wide range of power that was upto a 1/3 less power. Auto as well. I dont think supra auto boxes can take that kind of peak power for long. The way the turbo spooled up makes me thing possibly nos, at least I hope so as it would otherwise boarder on undrivable!

the reason its "drivable" if thats what you call is is probly te fact that it doesnt come on boost till 7million RPM so you can poter around off boost.. the WOTM supra has to use alot of nitrous to even get there turbo spooling....

Yeah thats exactly my point. A well designed engine would have a decent usable range of power, that doesn't, as such on a track much much less powerfull cars would wipe the floor, What is the point in having power if as soon as you use it the car spins off into a ditch! Too big turbos which cause far too high boost tresholds are imo totally pointless! True engine design is shown as the area under torque curve. Also makes for an engine which you can actually use all its power on the road/track without spending all your time having to alter your style to suit the engines bizzare behaviours.

Your right Ed, I think some people tune just for figures not driveability/useability.

well if its just designed as either a show car to advertise a company or a drag racer then it does really need to be drivable. well you heard all the power coming in at once, tbh i think i it was just designed to get 1500 hp on the rollers. its like the competition ice installs. all that power and all that money for about 2 seconds of noise (no kidding). i suppose its what your into really. dont get me wrong you have to have some degree of mechanical skills/intelligance to get that kind of power. but it really takes proper engineers to make it usable (buggati veyron springs to mind, mclaren f1 etc) ed i totally agree with you. The mines r34 would paste that no problem thats got only got 600bhp (only lol) BUT it can lap the tsukba circuit in around 57 seconds. i was readding it in last months j-tuner and it is simply an astonoshing car. It shows the difference between an engineer and a mechanic.

the kid isnt even impressed, think he was expectng more - bet he used loads of fuel doin that then again its only like one turnip for 100 litres over there

OK a little explanation is required here...

As you may or may not know the "2JZ" engine as found in the Supra is of 3 litres in capacity. To get big power out of such an engine with that size of capacity requires a large turbocharger or turbochargers because smaller turbochargers can't flow the air to provide such large numbers.

With large turbochargers, if you don't have the capacity, you don't have the same amount of exhaust gases to spin the turbine, hence lack occurs.

This is why large capacity engines such as large diesels (i.e. 10+ litre) get away with using such large turbochargers and have small amounts of lag.

If you go sticking a large T88 or similar sized turbocharger on a 1 litre engine you will have major amounts of lag and will probably stuggle to spool it at all.

A perfect example were the BMW F1 cars of the 80's. They used 1.5 litre engines with simply massive turbochargers. On the courses with numerous bends, the cars were beaten with eases due to the lag, but on the courses with long straights they won easily.

In drag racing, as this Supra is designed for, these problems aren't such an issue, as the engine doesn't have to be overly responsive. With the auto box, high stall converter and big slicks, is it any suprose that it runs mid to low 8's.

As for the so called 'real' engineers...don't even go there.

I see no reason why it takes a six figure sum to create a car that can only muster 600 odd horsepower from such a supposedly advanced engine.

Dave

P.S. This is only my opinion, and no disrespect is intended!

the reason is that they could probably get to around 1500 bhp from the rb26 that they use but as the skyline was meant as a track car then it needed to balanced. you of all people should know that massive of hp and torque dont neccerserly win races. I thought i must be for drag racing. does anyone know who built it.

i dont know why you got so defensive, you can poosible compare the people who designed and built cars like the veyron, mclaren f1, ferrari enzo with the people who built that. i didnt mean to offend anyone

Back