Supercharging with cheap kit...

TriNode

Ex. Club Member
Am I right in thinking supercharging is just forcing more air into the intake?

if so aren't there some simple turbine motors out there that you could just wire in, and connect some hose to the grille (nice cool air), to the motor, and from the motor to the filter?

That seems too easy, what am I missing?

probably won't be that hard to get pressure up to 2 x ambient.

full open throttle is 1 bar(approx 14.7psi), to run 1bar positive boost (2bar absolute pressure) ask various forced users what it takes to run 1bar positive boost.

A supercharger, is a belt driven turbine that compresses air to force more into the engine, the turbine is driven off the crankshaft with an additional belt and pully.

A turbocharger, does the same thing, apart from it sits in the exhaust gas flow, as the exhaust gas builds up it causes the turbocharger to spin, the compressor wheel compresses the air.

If you plan to put an electric motor with a fan on, It'll have as much affect as pointing a hair drier at your throttle body.

Listen TriNode mate, i'll save you a lot of hasslein trying to find out... it defo does not work just putting a motorfan inline...

My mate did this as his Final year dissertation project last year... He wanted to prove it would work then eventually had to admit it didnt work to well...

He said the same in theory and all that...

i'll try and get a copy of his dissertation and i'll see if he's still got his mock up...

But i'd actually like someone to prove people wrong and produce something like this...

The link above is the ONLY electric supercharger that has anychance of actually doing anything. Its also a wonderful example of just how much current a supercharger takes to drive.

Avoid ANYTHING else with a barge pole.

hmmm, well, I tried :)

if you get 1psi (7% ish) more aire pressure then is it not worth doing?

best look at getting the best cool air feed I can + a good filter?

(i'm wanting to keep original manifold & cats, but improve all I can that won't fail an MOT)

I have removed the Cat thats in the middle of the exhaust and my car passed the emissions test no bother mate.

Back