Super ST Engine difference

hissyfizzy

Ex. Club Member
How does the ST Engine differ from the standard K10 engines ? I know they have Turbo/Super charger I'm guessing one is a light pressure one.

Could the Standard 1.2 engine be Turbo charged ?

anything can be turbo'd it's just the cost and reliability envolved

The ST uses the MA09ERT engine, a small engine than the 1 and 1.2l engine. The smaller internals made the block stronger.

The ST is also Electronic fuel injection which it needed to work with the SC and Turbo (and NOS hey Ed lol)

If you wanted to Turbo a K10, I would reccomend finding a shed of a March Turbo or Nissan Figaro and trasnferring the engine. Both of these were 1 litre Turbo'd and electronic fuel injection.

Could be fun, doubt if it would make much difference though. Could always go for the K11 1.5 Diesel engine wouldn't that be fun with the auto box.

Well the March Turbo and Figaro engines had the same BHP as the 1.3 K11 engine.

I honestly believe a nice engine to fit in a K10 engine bay would be a Fiesta RS Turbo engine!

if you want boost, how about a 4E-FTE out of a starlet turbo? LOL they are avaliable in auto flavour too

135 out of the box- or more really, I went on a starlet GT rolling road day last year and near standard ones were putting out 140-150 BHP IIRC

would assume it would be lots of work though- but it is a compact engine.

if you want boost, how about a 4E-FTE out of a starlet turbo? LOL they are avaliable in auto flavour too

135 out of the box- or more really, I went on a starlet GT rolling road day last year and near standard ones were putting out 140-150 BHP IIRC

Its alot bigger than a an ma09ert anyway it has been done in malaysia though

Its alot bigger than a an ma09ert anyway it has been done in malaysia though

A bit of light reading for ya :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MA09ERT

As ollie said any engine can be turbod, same goes with supercharging, supercharging will generally mean running lower boost, but you get the boost right from the get go...which is the pay off. I knew someone who supercharged a 13B in a Mazda RX3 and it was deadly...he had it set-up so that he could turn the S/C on and off tho so it wasnt always running with boost, but you could really feel it when he had the s/c on, even tho it was only running about 7-9 psi of boost.

the MA10 can be eassily turbo charged as this block is used in the figaro and K10 turbo's 76bhp and still very reliable.

the ma09 block is a very different engine most internal components are not the same as standard (stonger) and the gearbox is also totally different to standard to allow it to hold the power better

The Fiesta RS Turbo has the Same engine as my Orion Turbo. The only difference being the injection system and the size of the Turbo. I have no tappet problems with it. crazyep82 is correct with the K10s, some of them do sound quite "tappy".

Fiesta turbo engines are 1970 designs, dont want anything like that near my car thanks! And thats majorly off topic from "Super St Engine difference"

70's? I thought some of the engine was 50's/60's design "improved" to a 70's design then had a basic ECU thrown in. lol

Apologies for the off topic.

Problems is that the ST is VERY hard to come by within the UK. There are probably less than a dozen within the UK. Importing one from Japan would cost in the region of £4000 (at a guess). Although if you seriously wanted a Turbo'd K10 this is the route I would go down. Doing a turbo engine transplant will in close proximity to this figure although may be able to get a higher BHP than an ST. I honestly believe that fitting a turbo to a K10 is a very expensive process and the results will not be amazing. For best results you would probably need to switch to an Electronic injection system, which will then need to be set up (mapped) for best results.

On ebay a month or so ago there was a shed of a Nissan Figaro. This came with the MA10 turbo engine which ran at 70bhp. If you could get your hands on one of these, this would be a straight fit (pretty much) into a K10 shell and would be the most reliable turbo'd engine you could get in a K10.

Just my 10 cents worth anyways. I may have rambled on as I'm tired! lol

you can turbo an ma10 or stick an ma10et in, you would have to do a manual conversion to get much excitment out of it for the cost imo, either way when you tot up the final cost of turboing an ma10, for the gains it would prob but more sensible to fork out for an ST as its far more capable. or maybe do an engine conversion sr20 maybe, when you look at it £3500-£4000 for an ST cant be far of that to acheive a 2.0 conversion?

you can turbo an ma10 or stick an ma10et in, you would have to do a manual conversion to get much excitment out of it for the cost imo, either way when you tot up the final cost of turboing an ma10, for the gains it would prob but more sensible to fork out for an ST as its far more capable. or maybe do an engine conversion sr20 maybe, when you look at it £3500-£4000 for an ST cant be far of that to acheive a 2.0 conversion?

An st would feel far better to drive cuz 200+bhp in a k10 is a joke,st its built with more than twice the factory output,and brakes,suspension are all delt with(road wise)factory setup is better!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back