Super S Driving Lights - change to fog setup?

CMF_Jas

» CMF Member
I drive a Super S so I have the driving lights in the front bar, however they are only operational when I use high beam, so they are in fact just a high beam.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to convert them into a fog light, whereby they can be switched on without the high beam, and even used with a yellow globe for greater effect.

To use fog lights effectively, high beams are pretty useless as they just light up all the white fog in front of you. Further, high beams will blind anyone coming in the opposite direction so not that safe with other road users.

As far as regulations go, driving lights are illegal and so are fog lights, unless in actual fog - so it's funny how most new cars sell the driving lights as a bonus when you are not allowed to even use them! Perhaps that's why the new LED "daytime" "Running lights" are coming in on everything.

Cheers.

CMF_Rudy

» CMF Member
I have a Jap bumper and lights being imported now so Im interested in this as well, I have good lights now so dont really need spottys, I only bought the front bar for looks, and its my intension to hook up parkers with globes probably equivilent to original parkers and then they will be lit all the time i have lights/parkers switched on

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
I didn't do the job myself but had the auto electrician set mine up so I can have parkers and lower lights on or main beams dipped and lower lights off or main beams high and lower lights on. Also an override switch so lower lights do not come on at all.

Pisses me off how all the new cars with their dickhead drivers go around with all four lights on at night. Very irritating, I flash them but they are either too stupid or too inconsiderate to turn off their lower lights. Only one person ever did when he saw mine went out when I dipped my lights.

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
Fog lights are low and wide beam designed to illuminate under fog and to sides of road. Spot (driving) lights are the narrow long range focused beam.
To answer your question The Super S lights give a wider coverage then headlights but not so far down the road.

CMF_Jas

» CMF Member
OK cool, looks like I might have to head to an auto electrician and get some rewiring done. I'll do most emchanical stuff myself, but electrics are not my cup of tea.

I'm kind of in two minds - I'll either rig them up as independant lights so I can choose when they are on...or I will remove them altogehter as they are next to useless (in that I never use high beam) in their current setup.

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
Rudy WROTE:

"Oh, I always thought it was the other way round, narrow beam for piercing through fog

No, 'cos what your trying to achieve is illuminating under the fog so you don't get reflection back at you. So the lights are placed low in the front of the car and focused to give a wide angle beam to show up the sides of the road but not so much high or far ahead as it will get reflected back to you.
Your driving lights (and round is best for focus reasons) are designed to give more of a spotlight effect and show a long way down the road but not a lot to the sides.
If you were to drive with just the spots on you would see the effect more when you turn corners and the beams seem to swing more as you turn.
With the conventional main headlights this is not so noticable as they have a wider coverage.

Of course there are lots of variables between brands, lens shape as in round or rectangular and whether they are focused lenses or clear ( I think clear are illegal but could be wrong) so you will see lots of variations, then it depends to how well they have been alighned.

The real true fog lights are either yellow or amber lenses as they give less reflection from the fog.

CMF_SuperS

» CMF Member
Technically the Super S lower lights are "driving lights" hence why they only come on with high beam.
I've wired mine to use as a fog light (with parkers) and switchable off high beam, but honestly it isn't worth the hassle. Having them correctly aimed and only using them in fog, yet people still high beam me? - keep them as driving lights, your better off to yourself and other road users - especially if your going to be able to switch them on independently with no other lights. Plus you'll look like a \/\/4|\||<3R!

CMF_jordan donohoe

» CMF Member
I don't know if this is a thick idea or smart idea but why not wire them up to high beam yeah and just cut the high beam spoke off the h4 bulb and use the fog lights as high beam wise them into the block what do ya think someone let of know what was think

Back