Strut Brace Fitting (Any car)

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Some people say when fitting a strut brace, the car's front wheels have to be lifted off the floor. Others have said you can just wack it on with the car sitting on the ground. Im a bit confused as to which is true, so can anyone help me out!

Ta

That thread alone proves my point that people say you do, people say you dont. I even replied saying you need to lift it and im not so sure myself anymore, just from the things i've read

I need a conclusive answer whether its necessary or not!

No the wheels don't need to be off the ground. In fact you are best off to leave the car sitting on it's wheels as normal especiall if you have to undo the strut mounting screws to fit the strut brace.

the theory is you lif the car so the suspention tops relax then you bolt the strut brace on so that when you lower the car back down it actually braces against it so the strut tops dont move.. if you do it with the car already down the strut tops have already moved crap explination.. all i know is my freind at subaru told me they have to lift the cars when adding prodrive kits...

the theory is you lif the car so the suspention tops relax then you bolt the strut brace on so that when you lower the car back down it actually braces against it so the strut tops dont move.. if you do it with the car already down the strut tops have already moved crap explination.. all i know is my freind at subaru told me they have to lift the cars when adding prodrive kits...

Raceworks that's good enough for me. Thats what i already thought was the case, but was doubting myself with all the various comments flying about.

cheers fella

Youll not notice the difference on a K10 anyway. Well you may think you might but I wouldn't believe you :) lol

It was a general query but yeah related to Ems's car. I personally do feel there is a difference on my K10, but i think thats due to an overall upgrade of all suspension, shocks, springs, strut, tyres etc, not just one individual thing.

Still not as good as the ST though!

A strut brace is there to stop suspension flex during cornering, makes no difference if the car is in the air when it's fitted or not. Once the brace is on it shouldn't flex anymore during cornering.

A strut brace is there to stop suspension flex during cornering, makes no difference if the car is in the air when it's fitted or not. Once the brace is on it shouldn't flex anymore during cornering.

I'll admit to buying and using a strut brace for the hell of it :p

However, strutbraces came from Rallying and suspension towers on them similar to the front of a k11 where they were angled.

However, in rallying the suspension takes a major beating so strut braces was used to keep the struts where they should be. Using them on a road car and on roads, makes next to no difference in handling (The only difference noticed is imagined in your head to warrant £40), they are also no use on a suspension where they are sat vertical and straight (such as the rear of a k11)

If you want to improve body roll and cornering, the best way to do it is to use better Anti-Roll Bars and to increase your chassis rigidity again the best way to do it is a full roll cage.

I'll admit to buying and using a strut brace for the hell of it :p

However, strutbraces came from Rallying and suspension towers on them similar to the front of a k11 where they were angled.

However, in rallying the suspension takes a major beating so strut braces was used to keep the struts where they should be. Using them on a road car and on roads, makes next to no difference in handling (The only difference noticed is imagined in your head to warrant £40), they are also no use on a suspension where they are sat vertical and straight (such as the rear of a k11)

If you want to improve body roll and cornering, the best way to do it is to use better Anti-Roll Bars and to increase your chassis rigidity again the best way to do it is a full roll cage.

This is simply not true with other chassis mods braces can make a noticable difference. I have shocks and springs on my car and when i added front and rear braces seperatly i noticed quite a large difference. For me a front strut brace is the best chassis mod you can do for the money.

front strut braces make a huge difference. And so does adding an anti-roll bar.

Might i point out that, if you jack the car up, and then undo the top strut bolts, the struts will actually fall out, hence when you leave the car on the ground!

There not going to fall very far with the suspension arms fitted. I think this is one of those things that depends on the car, anyway we can test what makes the best difference to micras???

Might i point out that, if you jack the car up, and then undo the top strut bolts, the struts will actually fall out, hence when you leave the car on the ground!

LOL thats a very good point!

that's why in the guide I posted I said to loosely support the wheel or hub so it doesn't drop but when you bolt it back on, it sits in it's natural position.

In both my K11's the strut brace didn't really make a difference worth shouting about.

Save the money and get some anti-roll bars, springs and shocks.

This is simply not true with other chassis mods braces can make a noticable difference. I have shocks and springs on my car and when i added front and rear braces seperatly i noticed quite a large difference. For me a front strut brace is the best chassis mod you can do for the money.

rear brace dont make any diffrence to the handling, front ones do as there is more flex on the front as the front has shocks and springs in one oppose to the back were you have a solid rear axle. all you really need on a micra is more body strengh as the chassis flex's alot. a roll cage, whiteline kit and front strut brace and some strenghend parts are all thats needed.

rear brace dont make any diffrence to the handling, front ones do as there is more flex on the front as the front has shocks and springs in one oppose to the back were you have a solid rear axle. all you really need on a micra is more body strengh as the chassis flex's alot. a roll cage, whiteline kit and front strut brace and some strenghend parts are all thats needed.

look whos actually had a rear strut brace in there car? trust me it makes a difference. it mabe just as i had the rest of the suspension stuff but it did.

Back