Strange ignition settings

Hi

I recently renovated my micra I bought as a project a while ago. Started with the engine, cylinder head, tuned in the valves, changed main gaskets, betls etc. When all job was done i started the beast up, it was running just fine, no strange sounds.
Well checking the ignition with a ignition light the marks showed that the ignition was around 20 deg. before TDC, meaning the ignition was not even in the area of the marks at the plastic cover. :confused:

Well i turned the ignition down to around 10 deg. but then the engine started to sound bad, and around 5 deg. and less the ignition light started to give up, due to the ignition.

Well after adjusting a bit on the carburator and stuff I can got the car to run kinda good at 10 deg before TDC, but still better with earlier ignition...

This is strange to me becouse the ignition should be at maximum 5 deg before TDC...

Do you guys have any experience or knowledge that can help me to get the car to run efficient at right ignition?

Best regards
Kim

Which engine does your micra have? I will give you the correct settings for all engine types.
Before adjusting the timing, be sure to disconnect AND seal the vacuum pipe on the distributor (or boost sensor if you have a catalytic converter fitted).
Vacuum Disconnected (Static Timing)
1.0L with 4-speed manual transmission (<1990) = 2' ATDC
1.0L with automatic or 5-speed transmission (<1990) = 5' BTDC
1.0L from 1990 onwards = 4' BTDC
1.2L with NO catalytic converter = 0' TDC
1.2 with catalytic converter = 3' ATDC

Vacuum Connected (Dynamic Timing)
1.0L with 4-speed manual transmission (<1990) = 12' BTDC (+/- 5')
1.0L with automatic or 5-speed transmission (<1990) = 12' BTDC (+/- 5')
1.0L from 1990 onwards = 11' BTDC (+/- 5')
1.2L with NO catalytic converter = No figure given for dynamic timing.
1.2 with catalytic converter = 10' BTDC (+/- 2')

Which engine does your micra have? I will give you the correct settings for all engine types.
Before adjusting the timing, be sure to disconnect AND seal the vacuum pipe on the distributor (or boost sensor if you have a catalytic converter fitted).
Vacuum Disconnected (Static Timing)
1.0L with 4-speed manual transmission (<1990) = 2' ATDC
1.0L with automatic or 5-speed transmission (<1990) = 5' BTDC
1.0L from 1990 onwards = 4' BTDC
1.2L with NO catalytic converter = 0' TDC
1.2 with catalytic converter = 3' ATDC

Vacuum Connected (Dynamic Timing)
1.0L with 4-speed manual transmission (<1990) = 12' BTDC (+/- 5')
1.0L with automatic or 5-speed transmission (<1990) = 12' BTDC (+/- 5')
1.0L from 1990 onwards = 11' BTDC (+/- 5')
1.2L with NO catalytic converter = No figure given for dynamic timing.
1.2 with catalytic converter = 10' BTDC (+/- 2')

Thx for replay!
The vacuum to distributor was plugged when i was adjusting the ignition. My micra is a 1.0L -88, 5-speed type so that means it should have 5' BTDC right? In my auto data papers it was +-4 i think, but close enought.

Well i was down in my garage a few days ago and tried to get it right, this is the result;

- On 0' the car runs very bad, no strength at all, not so strange maby.
- On 5' it is still running very bad, dosent want to rev properly and feels tierd, the engine runs uneven.
- 10' it runs fine, but does not rev to the max.
- Then i was adjusting step by step between 12' to 17' and noticed that when the ignition is set at 15' BTDC the car revs to the max, has great response and sounds nice.

I also checked the cam belt, to make sure it was not placed wrong, also checked that the distributor and ignition cables was fitted correct.
Can some strange settings on the carburator cause this phenomena?

Well, i can't figure it out, why the ignition has to be the way it is. The only thing done to tha engine, is that I ported the cylinder head, air intake and extractorpipe.

What the heck is wrong!!? o_O

There's nothing wrong with your car. 15' is fine and quite common in 1.0L models. The figures are a guidline only. The figure for your car is 12' + or - 5' so it can be set anywhere between 7' and 17' (so set it to where it runs the best in this range).
15' sounds fine and the changes to the engine will not affect your timing.

There's nothing wrong with your car. 15' is fine and quite common in 1.0L models. The figures are a guidline only. The figure for your car is 12' + or - 5' so it can be set anywhere between 7' and 17' (so set it to where it runs the best in this range).
15' sounds fine and the changes to the engine will not affect your timing.

Okay thx for replay! I was just so confused when my papers told me that the ignition should be around 0+-5' BTDC, well at least it seems to run nice now at 15'.

Cheers

Back