strange problem

superls

K10 Tuner
hi all.

had a strange problem with the 10 rescently.

from firing it up from being stood, say overnight or all day at work, the oil light would stop on for about 10 seconds, a little longer in the cold mornings a little less after work, ive been worried about it and have been letting it tick over a few mins before i drive it to ensure there is oil pressure there (i have a gauge for that) its been fine whilst running good oil pressure within the values in the manual, its just been whils starting.

there are no rattles on the engine, its not been hot so everythings been getting oil.

its been bothering me for a couple of weeks now so on my way home yesterday called at the motor factors picked up a new oil filter, i didnt need no oil , as it was changed about 3 months ago and is still brown.

got home sorted a few other bits out like fitting my good rear shocks on, took up rear brakes, fitted my old wheels with some spacers, got tidied away cleaned up etc, probably 2-3 hours.

thought right ill change the filter now, dipped the oil still on the H mark and still new coloured oil. put a catch tank under the engine so i didnt cover the drive in oit when i took the filter off, which is what usually happens lol

unscrewed the filter quickly as not to spill too much oil everywhere, pulled out the filter, its empty, no oil in it none down the engine, non in the bowl non on my hands nothing anywhere.

thought thats strange, called dad he came and had a look, hmmm thats strange, that would explain your oil light stopping on a few seconds,

pulled off the coil lead and cranked the engine with no filter on, as soon as he touched the key oil was comming out of the hile where the filter goes, so the pumps working fine.

why is my filter draining???

put then new one on started it again a few seconds light goes out, shut it off.

got up this morning fired her up, light went out straight away and the pressure built up immediately.

strange eh?

I had the same problem mate...its caused by the anti drain back valve in the filter going bad and allowing the oil to drain back to the sump so every time you start her up the oil filter had to be filled up.. Nothing to worry about with your car the old filter was duff thats all

Back