strange but i want a limiter

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
hi all,

does anyone know how i can limit the revs on my car to 3500 ish?

i know it's mad but i want to force myself to look after the engine better and get better fuel economy...

it would be great on a switch so that i can rag it when i need to but other wise it's sensable driving...

any ideas... other than puting a brick behind the accelerator lol

why not just not rag it?! kinda pointless having a limiter to stop you thrashing your engine if every now and then you're going to turn it off and thrash it again! plus if it's at 3.5k, you're going to be bouncing it off the limiter regularly, and i don't know about you, but the noise of a car bouncing off it's limiter is not a good one, and so i don't think that's good for its engine

u can get limiters...normally they put them on scooters or something i think to stop them being thrashed to much or i heard some people put them on n when get pulled by copper they put it on n tell copper no they couldnt be doing so so cuz its limited n tell them 2 test drive it etc...

well its a micra... a city car and you shouldn't need to break 3500 but every now and again i want to go in the motorway and do proper speeds...

i don't like raging my engine but i can't help but thrash it when something is trying to overtake me and i have to stop it....

I think you need to limit yourself! No point trying to limit the car, that will just get fustrating and youll end up doing backfires everytime you hit the limiter!

you can get a omex rev limiter with launch control, set the limiter at 4000 or what ever and the launch control has a button which when you press limits it to 2500 or whatever you set it to, used to have one on my silvia.

you could rig up a swich that cuts the ignition when the pedal is fully down, it would be like a anti rag swich

then you could say youve got anti rag on youre car

yea it may be easy for you but when some bad boy tries to show me up in his festa i have no choice but to set him straight which envolves ragging....

i've tried crawling along whilst everyone overtakes and it's not easy...

i have issues :down:

lol

i thought the CG's where quite tough anyway, or at least i hope so becuase i take mine 5,000-6,500 quite alot :S with it being a 1 litre

yea i know they're hardcore but still...

you lose other stuff instead like petrol :)

its ok im jus th same but i jus dont give a toss bout other cars i want mine n ui know its quicker
how bad is ur fuel consumption?

it aint that bad i can go two weeks on a tank... (about 240 miles?)

but i could do with it costing less than £38 a pop...

oh and on my way back to work from lunch just now i managed to let a nova pass me!! it was hard, and it was even harder with them giving me the finger... but i remembered that i was in a better car and they were tw*ts... ;)

what? are you driving to japan and back? :)

i think it's time for a second tank install ;)

40 miles on my way to work, 40 miles on the way back. Plus if i get called to a clients office you need to add on the miles there. Plus general mileage too

harsh! but you don't pay that yourself do you? surely work chip in...

if i really could be bothered i could walk to work, it's only 6 miles but i like my car and i don't like getting up early...

Well, i certainly wouldnt drive 80 miles a day for the money that you are on!
But i guess if they pay almost all your petrol your laughing really.. save them vat receipts ;p

I get more than £200 LOL, thats just the bit i get tax free :p

I'm on £11k/yr + 20% commission for web projects :)

well your pretty sorted then mate lol

11k wouldn't that be nice... i get 8k and no petrol money :down:

hence the limiter hahaha

Jim said:
the noise of a car bouncing off it's limiter is not a good one, and so i don't think that's good for its engine

thats what a limiters for, so it dont hurt the engine :D uk spec k11s will see 8 grand all day, if it werent for the poxy 6500 limiters.

as for the 3500 limiter, hate to say it nex mate, but kinda pointless. i drive mine stupid amounts of miles per week, but i can drive at sensible speeds all the time, its just i enjoy a bit of a blast every now and then. so control and patience is the key grasshopper........

you need to rag ur car to beat a fiesta :O (on private roads) my engine got 100k + on it and quite happily sits on the limater lol but in all serousness it is all self control

wat music do u listen to? do u feel it mite help if u listened to somit more peaceful?
i cant listen to my metal n drive slow its jus makes my pedal hit the metal

lol every one says "self control" but imo its in the blood! lol ive calmed down alot since my days when i passed but if i see a nice stretch of road with lovely corners i cant help but put my foot down n fly around them

then theres times when u get some punks in their packed out sweaty corsas/novas/fiestas(insert car here) etc... giving u dirtys n smirking "its only a micra!" its in ur blood to press that pedal down till red line...its ever so tempting...

imo nex the only way to not rag the car is with that limiter i know for a fact i wouldnt b able to do it other wise lol

thanks for the replies guys :)

my car is well slow because i haven't done anything to the engine cos i'm not wasting my money with a new engine planned and it's draped in subs and amps etc it don't go quick at all :down:

yep i saw a relation to music and volume and the speed you drive so i've cut down on the D&B at 23 vol @ 90mph and its now Jass at 5 vol @ 25mph :D

but i've had a go in my dad's cobra and that is impossible to drive slow in lol
my dad gave me permittion to rag it at 8000 on a V8 !! the sound is lovely so i think i've inherated the need for speed from him :)

You could always put a throttle stop on the floor lol. That would probably be the easiest way to save fuel.. just make sure there is more than enough to get you out of junctions safely etc...

I was reading in the The Times' motoring section on Sunday about the latest Renaultsport Clio Trophy, which, to quote Clarkson has the "weirdest cruise control i've ever found....there's a facility that lets you choose the top speed of the car. Select 70 and it is impossible to go faster. The engine won't let you. I had enormous fun with this, driving from one side of Birmingham to the other with it set on 30".

i would consider those kind of limited dangerous..

there have been many times where ive driven like a granny but needed the extra revs and maybe go over the speed limit to move out of the way of some twit aiming right for me
limiting the engine/revs like that is seriously going to compromise your ability to drive the car properly on the UK roads today..

just learn how to drive calmly..

i found by removing my sound system out of my car made me a much calmer person behind the wheel... as soon as it went back in with me usual fast pased dance music, hello red line!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back