Rev Limiter

CMF_madflyingmax

» CMF Member
Hi boys/girls

I'm new to your club I have got a kit car called a Pellandini which you will find on google, I have just recently fitted a K11 Nissan (Micra)engine with great results I might add, but there is a problem the kit car uses 12" tyres which can't be changed due to clearance and the Micra used 13" tyres, now I have the problem on overtaking down in gears of hitting the Rev limiter, do you guys know how I can either remove or increase the Rev Limit, as it is frustrating when your doing a pose and she pops and wheezes.
Best regards
Madflyingmax, SA

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
You can remove it by covering up the extra little hole next to one of the large slots in the chopper disc in the dizzy, but I'd be careful with it as a few people have mentioned that the crank isn't balanced to handle more than ~7500rpm. Some people have taken it to 8 and above without issues, but it's just something to think about if you're going to be doing it regularly.

Rev limits are there for a reason anyhow :p

---den

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
mm i wouldnt be keen to take it out. definately for a reason. if your taking your engine to the limiter very often your guna run into a few problems down the track. thats a crazy looking car tho!! any reason your using a micra engine and not something a bit bigger??

as for the tyre issue. cant you just change to 13" rim but with lower profile tyre?

CMF_madflyingmax

» CMF Member
Thank you Den for that bit of info. I will look and see if I can do it. I have a audible alarm fitted to my shift light on my taco which gives me a small pre warning to the Rev Limit. I do not run it to the Rev Limit very much. The other day I went to overtake casually only to realise there was a hill in front which this low car could not see over, in front of me was a car in the opposite direction on changing back and accelerating all hell broke loose and I became stranded in the opposite lane. What do you use to fill this hole?
Again thank you very much.
Madflyingmax

CMF_madflyingmax

» CMF Member
tris WROTE:

"mm i wouldnt be keen to take it out. definately for a reason. if your taking your engine to the limiter very often your guna run into a few problems down the track. thats a crazy looking car tho!! any reason your using a micra engine and not something a bit bigger??<BR><BR>as for the tyre issue. cant you just change to 13" rim but with lower profile tyre?

Hi Tris

This vehicle originally had a mini cooper "S" of course with no overdrive, by changing it to a Nissan Micra again 1300 I had no trouble with register of motor vehicles with the engine transplant. Hell, as it is with the stock standard engine I have to change gears within the distance of the traffic lights.

CMF_madflyingmax

» CMF Member
smidge WROTE:

"would be great to see some pics of how you put it together, looks great!

Hi Smidge

I have photo's and would be happy to show them around. As in the previous replies this car came out with a mini engine. All up from left to right 600mm distance. As the gear box is directly under the engine. When fitting the Micra engine I lost that lee way and had to find another way around fitting a 800mm into a 600 hole. After a lot of thougth a went to a Ferrari design, the engine has the wishbones bolted directly to it on a subframe (bit like a bike) then the subframe/engine was engine mounted to the firewall. Works well.

Cheers

Back