Stock Lambda Removal...

solarice

Ex. Club Member
Not sure if anyone will know this or not...but under what conditions does the stock ecu freak out if you remove the lambda...is it only checking for a input signal or is it also monitoring the heater voltage.?

Reason im asking is ive got a wideband setup now, that can also simulate narrowband, meaning i can remove the stock lambda fit in a wideband and continue to feed the stock ecu with a narrow signal, giving me the best of both worlds.

If it just monitors the narrowband signal then disconnecting the lambda in the engine bay all is all i'll need to do, but if its also monitoring heater voltage then i'll need to fake that signal (read you can just put a resistor in place) or tie up the stock o2 somewhere in the engine bay (not what i really want to do).

So if anyone knows which way it checks, it would be appreciated...

Cheers

solarice

has,nt the wideband jobbie has got heater wires ?
maybe the heater is "timed" for x amount of seconds by the ecu

yeah frank the wideband does (so the wideband control side of things is covered :) )...but what im doing is removing the stock lambda (3 wire -- heater x2 , signal -- according to the diagrams/specs it has a heater built in. :) )

the wideband controller im using has a narrow and wide output, the narrow signal will be patched into the signal line on the stock ecu...but if the ecu is also monitoring the heater it'll through a fault and mess up what im trying to do...which means i'll need to work around that.

So just looking to find out if the stock ecu does indeed monitor the heater...or if i can just unplug it and be done. :)

I do know the ecu schematic lists two ecu pins (19 and 105) ...which makes me think its checking voltage and lambda signal.

any ideas?

solarice

i would think, the ecu just (default) sends a voltage to the element (in the sensor) for a set duration, and is irrelevant to the map ?
and i read that the wideband jobbies are more sensitive to heat and pressure (maybe ed can clarify ?)

Forget about the heater its a non issue. It WILL be fine. As to will the wideband.

The stock sensor heater (control/monitoring) was the only part i wasnt sure about :)

suppose i can always check for error codes afterwards just to be sure...i read that certain stock ecus throw a code if the lambda heater element wasnt connected...but if you reckon the micras ecu doesnt, then that may mean an easier install.. :)

will finish wiring it all in tomorrow and will see what happens...

Sounds like your trying to overcomplicate it. There will be no problems.

lol, no tbh im trying to make it simpler :laugh: basically looking for the normal ecu to still see a narrow band sensor (simulated with the additional wideband output) while using the wideband to display to a gauge and provide an emanage input / wideband log input.

So even though the stock sensors removed, as far as the ecu is concerned its still there. :)

Its the simulated section that obviously wont provide the ecu with a heater signal (should it be looking for it)...

but as youve said you think it should be ok... :)

I wouldn't even connect the simulated output. DEFINATELY NOT anyway if I was using e-manage.

could you elaborate on why its better to force the ecu into a default factory setting, instead of feeding it a constant reading (within stoich) it would like / trying to maintain...as surely both options would provide similar results.

I'll admit ive yet to properly play with this stuff, let alone do any real mapping...so maybe im looking at it the wrong way.

guess not, lol...

(unless youve not been on today...as your recent activity tag seems to have been removed from your profile) :)

Back