Stinks of fuel + warning light

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Hi all

Ems Micra really really stinks of petrol, like your on a petrol forecourt kind of smell. The MPG has got worse, and the warning light (handbrake one) pretty much remains illuminated the whole time now, after you've started driving. I drove it to work earlier and it came on after about 4 seconds.

Anyone got any ideas what the problem is, or where to check? It recently had an oil change but didn't service anything else.

Cheers :)

mine was like that before check the pads on the brakes as mine were to worn and causing the brake fluid to go under the sensor and making the light go on changed the pads and worked fine also check the rear pistons on the brakes aint leaking as after i done it all i lost the back end of my car in a icy roundabout and the light came on when i got home the day after checked the brakes and the back piston had gone again

petrol smell not 100% sure on that mate mine was like that before as well has the car been sat for a while??

Check the fuel filler pipe neck....the join between the filler pipe and the breather pipe may have corroded (happened in my SR), which can mean you can smell petrol quite a bit! Not sure if that would cause MPG problems, but the pressure would have been lost from the system. You can see it if you look up under the wheel arch.

Cheers for the suggestions. The car is used most days to drive to haywards heath and back, so a good 30 miles a day. I did think the warning light might be related to the brakes, same as my K10, but we haven't checked the pads etc yet. Will also check the filler neck too. Its a really really strong smell though. Not sure if the performance of the car is any worse as Ems drives it alot more than me.

Cheers for the suggestions. The car is used most days to drive to haywards heath and back, so a good 30 miles a day. I did think the warning light might be related to the brakes, same as my K10, but we haven't checked the pads etc yet. Will also check the filler neck too. Its a really really strong smell though. Not sure if the performance of the car is any worse as Ems drives it alot more than me.

Now I didn't realise that! I've never seen her car around here, but I'm living here now :laugh: .

Does she work at the Princess Royal Hospital? The missus works there :)

/back on topic...

Back