sticky speedo

K

katk11

Hi there,
My speedo sticks when it reaches 50mph. When i speed up to 60+ the needle catches up with itself but really slowly. When i slow down it gets stuck again until i stop.
Anyone got any ideas why it is doing this? help?

mine does that, if i go over 20 it sometimes gets stuck there..i normally just wait till i am at traffic lights the start filckin it..does a great job!! lol :p

Its ok once ive stopped the needle just drops back to 0 again. Ive tried flicking it while driving but its got a mind of its own and will only move if it wants to. Do you think it will get better over time? How long has yours been like that?

to be honest it hasent done it for ages, i am not even to sure what causes it, i dont really suppose it gets better over time, my car is an m reg so is like 10/11 years old now! if it is not doing it all the time then i woodnt worry about it, if it keeps doin it and it keeps gettin stuck then get it checked out coz u might break speed limits n stuff without u knowing!

hope that helps!

Mines an M reg too. It does pretty much do it every time i take it out. I think i will get it checked out as i think i may have unknowingly broken a few already. thx 4 the advice. I will keep you posted on what they say.

yeah that would be good, it is prob something stupid that does it..i have noticed that it is when i am goin quite fast then i stop quite fast all of a sudden that it does it :S might have something to do with that i suppose..we shall see though!

Mine sometimes does it when it is hot, wobbly ford speedos are caused by wear to a nylon thingy in the gearbox, it could be related to that, or it could be where the speedo cable connects to the dash cluster

If it was somethin like that i would imagine it would effect it at all speeds not just a specific one. I was thinking if the previous owner constantly drove it at a max of 50mph all the time, would that cause it to stick?
Its a stupid theory but im running out of ideas....

i suppose that could have something to do with it, if they never went over 50..but is an extream long shot though! lol

ive decided to book it in to have the thread looked at but it will cost me loads to get it fixed by nissan wont it? Is it a job i could do myself?

You can replace the nylon bit for peanuts (this is a Ford problem, so may not be the case here)

My m8 is gonna look at it for me tomorrow he rekons he can sort it for me. thanks for the info guys youve been a great help.

katk11 said:
My m8 is gonna look at it for me tomorrow he rekons he can sort it for me. thanks for the info guys youve been a great help.

sounds alright, let us know IF he fixes it what he did! :)

that happens every time to me... if someone sorts it let us all know...
to tell you the truth didnt think it was an actual fault... maybe a micra charecteristic...
(96' k11 1.0l)

Hey guys, Its all fixed, he did it!!!!
Apparently when he took the dash off and the bit of paper behind the speedo had a crease in it so he just straightened it out and put it back in and now it works a treat. Simple as that, i dont believe it!!!!

Back