Sticky speedo needle...need help.

CMF_oldboy40s

» CMF Member
when i drive the speedo needle goes from 0 - 110km then it will not go pass 110km even thou i know i am driving faster than that, then when i slow down the speedo needle will drop to 40km and stays there...even when i stop. I have to hit the cluster hard about 10 times b4 the needle drops back to 0km.Any help to rectify this problem is mich appreaciated.

Thanks

CMF_Jon (2)

» CMF Member
oldboy40s WROTE:

"what should i do?? Is it hard to remove the cluster to get to the needle??

Remove the 5 screws in the steering column cover.
Undo the screw just above your instrument dimmer switch and one over the other side of the cluster and you'll remove the plastic cover over the speedo.
From there its just 2 screws holding it in both sides.
Pull out the plugs and remove the speedo drive cable from the back.
Carefully lift it out and assess from there.

CMF_Tuph

» CMF Member
Hey not sure if its the same problem- but my speedo used to stick when I parked the car in the hot, then when I drove the needle would stick and not read accurately, as well as not properly dropping back to 0.

I took the cover off the dash (it was a while ago, but i think it was about 5 screws) and the non-needle side (the bump which sits opposite the needle part of the pivot) was catching on the backing which has the speed numbers printed on it. (probably bending it out ie towards the driver, when it got hot- but it may just be bent in your case on the lower speed side of the speedo)

on this print on there are two Philips head bolts right near the odometer. wind these bolts out a little and push in the corner of the print on into the hole where the odometer sits to bend it out of the way (into the odo hole) of the needle which it was catching on. then wind the small philips head screws back in so it stays bent out of the way of the needle. then put the dash housing back in with the (4-5 screws)

Not sure that this is explained very well- but it saved me from fiddling with the speedo cable (when that wasn't the problem) and saved me from buying a new speedo cluster (which was going to be my next option).

I did this a couple of summers ago now and I have had no problems since. At the time I had no mechanical knowledge- so I suggest checking this first as its a really easy thing to check to see if the backing which the speed is printed on is simply bent and catching on the needle before looking for other causes (even though catching speedo cables do seem to happen regularly)

Hope this helps

CMF_oldboy40s

» CMF Member
Hi again,

The issue was sorted today. Thanks for all your advice and suggestions.
Ab-Nrml took out cluster for me and did what Tuph advice and everything is running sweet. Cheers guys.

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
Yep, thanks Tuph for the suggestion, first thing we looked at and it fixed the prob. didn't take more than 5 mins.

my speedo needle sticks a little too, is it a common problem?

CMF_DeepFraught

» CMF Member
Looks like the needle stuck for the previous owner of my Micra, as the plastic has cracks in it like someone bashing it =D

ECUtalk was available around the time I joined up, so I bought that for all the other computer readings that it displays, as well as the speed.

cisco

» CMF Member
Ah this is a fun job. There is a reason why modern vehicles have electronic speed sensors rather than a spinning mechanical cable lol.

Back