Stick in third gear

The Micra's unhappy at the moment!

Not long into a journey today, my K10 started sticking in third gear for some reason. I can lift the clutch pedal back up and try the gear change again - second or third attempt and she'll change into fourth.

Shifting into third is fine. Just shifting out into second or fourth seems to be the problem.

Is this a known fault with the k10? Can anyone give me some pointers on this at all?

Cheers

Seems you have a 5 speed one (if i checked the other forum about the ignition wire) K10 rarely have troubles with there transmission. It also can be that your transmission oil needs a change (or is too low, it needs 2.9 liter)

Provo , H701Micra - Thats right it is the 5 speed version.
Cheers Enuo and Provo, i will look into both of your suggestions and report back.

Only thing I can simply think other already suggested is check directly under the gearstick area and look at those bolts and rubbers. Mine were loose giving me too much play also

Well if above doesn't work, i had an odd problem with it 2 years back. My clutch died (the 4 springs on the clutch itself were worn off). At the moment itself I didn't know that but anyway it became harder and harder fr me to change gears. Change gears became a mess and just like you it started sticking too. At the end I couldnt get it out even when I putted my foot against it. Maybe you can check the state of your clucth by pulling the handbrake on and slowly release the clutch. ;)

This happened to mine, it was a hub inside the box or something that needed replacing. I ended up losing 3rd and 4th gears so had to shift 1st - 2nd - 5th.

Ok, so ruling out easiest things first. Removed rubber and interior plastic surround to gear stick - everything nice and tight, no loose rubbers or bolts there. But think this suggestion may have been for a auto box.

Next up, oil level. Thinking about it, if it were the oil level being too low i'd have trouble changing into all gears....possibly? Whats the best way to check K10 5speed oil level?

Clutch is a potential issue here. I've not noticed mine slipping, and clutch seems ok when changing into and out of other gears other than third. It was also replaced about 5k miles ago.

Arnold - your suggestion. That worries me. Sounds like money haha

I had a new clutch lasted 2000 miles and it went. To be fair it was the clutch release fork that snapped and smashed my clutch to bits but meh
Could be a simple clutch issue? I had to drive home because I couldnt change gear. That was entertaining for all in the car.

I believe the gearbox oil was replaced with the clutch about 5k ago.
Checked level of gearbox oil (what a plonker - theres an oil high/low level indicator sticker on the top of the gearbox so its super easy to check yourself). Oil level fine, oil quality seems fine.

Perhaps theres an internal gearbox failure of some sort.

Well then you can start fearing for the worst. If you clutch is replaced 5k miles ago, then your oil had to be changed too (since you have to get the axles out of your gearbox the oil will start flooding out). It seems that the mechanism get stuck by doing this action, can you change gears easily when the engine is turned off? Do you hear any sounds when shifting?

Without engine running, can shift in and out of 3rd no problem and sounds fine.
To my understanding, it seems like a bit of a weird problem. I would've thought that it would be more likely to be a problem going into gear, not out. You're right though Provo, it ain't sounding too good!

We'll son't despair just yet. If you can change the gears without any problems when your engine is turned off means that the mechanism is still operational. Lets ask you some more questions:

Shifting gears with the engine off goes smoothly without any problem, no weird sounds?
Shifting gears with the engine on (idle speed, keep clutch at all time) goes smoothly, without any sounds?
Shifting gears while driving seems to have problems while changing from 3th to 4th (or from 3th to 2nd)

if you are driving in 3th gear can you get it in neutral? Or does it keep sticking into 3th?

We'll it could maybe that his cable of the clutch is too loose. Fasten the cable up so the tension between transmission and pedal has no play. Not too fast cause your pressure bearing will worn after some time.

Well had the same thought here, if you can shift at idle with no problems and you cant do it at the engine running, it means the source of the problem is at the clutch itself, it seems your clutch still works a little when you are shifting (aint pressed it to far) so your primary axle from your gearbox keeps on turning a little and can't slow enough down to put your gear out of third, the other way around getting the gear into third will just work fine cause ur primary axle need to get at a little higher rpm. Try tension the cable between transmission and clutch pedal and it might fix your problem ;)

Hey Provo, H701micra

Update, now sticks in 4th also :( - and now a three gear only Micra, 1st, 2nd and 5th!

I think the problem is worse when the car is in motion, so when transmission in moving. It seems that now when the car is stationary and idling, or when engine is off it shifts into 3rd and 4th ok 30% of the time. The rest of the time it will get stuck in gear. To get it out of 3rd and 4th gear you need to really shake the gearstick around aggressively.

Do you think the clutch could be an issue here then? The biting point is fairly low since clutch was replaced.

Hey Provo, H701micra

Update, now sticks in 4th also :( - and now a three gear only Micra, 1st, 2nd and 5th!

I think the problem is worse when the car is in motion, so when transmission in moving. It seems that now when the car is stationary and idling, or when engine is off it shifts into 3rd and 4th ok 30% of the time. The rest of the time it will get stuck in gear. To get it out of 3rd and 4th gear you need to really shake the gearstick around aggressively.

Do you think the clutch could be an issue here then? The biting point is fairly low since clutch was replaced.
It will be worse when its moving because its under load. When was the clutch replaced?
Have you tried adjusting your clutch cable?
But to only be certain gears I'm beginning to believe its the gearbox synchro

Hi all,
Been involved with my other car (ae86) recently. Now back focussing on the Micra, as unfortunately it now has no gears!
Gearstick stuck in neutral position, and feels like it is in gear when i push the car. Cannot shift into any gear.

Now convinced/forced to invest a bit more time and money into getting her back on the road haha.
Never had much involvement into gearbox issues (as you can probably tell) so unsure whether the box needs replacing or whether it can be repaired.

I have started to remove the gearbox for inspection, so i'll post some pics/updates later this week.

Question: My K10 is an '89 facelift with ma12 engine and 5 speed box. Prefer to put another 5 speed in, are these easily available? Or, possibly a bit adventurous, is the box from the CG10DE, CG13DE, CGA3DE compatible? Easier to come by at my local breakers.

......or is it something to do with the clutch after all? Only replaced about 18 months ago (about 6k miles) Time will tell!

Cheers,and thanks again for your continued support.

If its in neutral it should be easy to push they weigh nothing. Unless the brakes are stuck on?
Usually you can select a gear with the engine off. Can you not select a gear at all?
The k10 gearbox is usually used on cg10s. So I cant see why a cg10 gearbox can't be used.. might be wrong
Look forward to the progress :)

I've done a bit of digging around on the forum, and it seems that the 'box on the k11 was used pre '98. After this date, the driveshaft splines were a larger size and a different flywheel was used i believe. So i might be in luck there, having difficulty locating the k10 5 speeders :(
In terms of gear ratio's, im unsure what the difference would be between the 5 speed on the k10 and k11...but that doesnt really concern me too much at this point. A car that moves is wayyy better than a car that doesn't!

The k10's 5 speeder is now out. No metal came out when i dropped the oil from the box - not a sausage.
Plan on taking a look inside tonight.

If i can source another 5 speeder from a k10 or pre 98 K11 - roughly how much should i expect to pay at a breakers?

Back