steering rack

Last time i went to havey tracking done they said they cant do it cause some fault in there! Howevere it feels fine! But when stationary and turn the wheel theres very little play but a small knock sound !

Do i remember seeing somewhere that there a fault with them coming loose?

A slight 'knock' could be caused by wear in the bottom ball joint or track rod end.
A worn track rod end would be a reason tracking couldn't be successfully adjusted.

While you might not feel any difference driving it you will probably notice an improvement when its fixed.

but they said its movement within the rack i must admit i havent been under there to take alook i may even get a second opinion just to be sure of this... however i got them to check the track rod ends which were said to have been fine (according to them)

so maybe im after a donor steering rack or leave it for now?

as i said when not moving there is a slight knock

ill have to invetigate as they said theres movement within the rack as said lol....

as the knock has been there since i bought the car and its flown through 2 mots like it lol

As they said it would be within the steering rack. We get lots of cars in were you get play in the rack when you have the front of the vehicle jacked up and you rock the front wheels from side to side and you can feel a bit of play even if the track rod end and bottom ball joint are ok. It's nuthin to worry about, everything that moves must get wear on them at some point.

Continuing what Scott King said, on cars with power steering you always get a bit more play with the engine off compared to when its running.

When checking the bottom ball joints rather than just shaking the wheel when its jacked up, have an assistant shake the steering wheel side to side slightly while you put your hand on the suspension arm near the ball joint (watch your fingers!). Also, with the car still on the ground, get a big lever between the suspension arm and bottm of the hub and give it a lever.

In my experience when bottom ball joints start to knock you can feel excess play with the car on the ground long before you feel it with the car jacked up.

Could be inner tie rod? Mine's gone on the driver side and you can't buy inners seperately on the K12 (grr) so I'm going to have to fit a recon steering rack. Nissan want £1,000+ for the whole shebang but Kris C from here is helping me find a recon lower part for just £70 :).

I'm getting steering wheel judder under braking. It's alot better since I did the outer tie rods which were knackered but the driver's side inner is on the way out according to the MOT guy and I'm still getting judder.

i dont have power steering its for whimps! but im sure its fine :p till it falls off or feels dangerous ill look then!

yeh but used to your advantage its lethal, like when malcolmt was in the car i turn'd a left turn(more than 90 degree) so quick i was in the rd before i even knew it, sitting their looking at the passenger with a smile :grinning:

Judder when braking usually means brake discs or pads have a high spot (Usually incorrectly referred to as warped discs)
If you can feel it thru the steering its got to be the discs, if you feel/hear it thru the drivers seat its usually the drums.

Back