Steering rack

simmo

Official micra geek!
hey,

Iv been having a few problems with my steering rack for some time now. When i turn my wheel from side to side when im parked up i get a clonking sound (i know i shouldnt dry steer but thats not the issue). Iv looked in my engine bay and i can see theres abit of give in the steering rack. Its on solid and its not going anywhere thou. Iv already changed the steering rack once but this new ones started to do the same thing. Im guessing its because of the added strain caused by my wided alloy wheels. Im just wondering if anyone can sugest anythin i can do to strengthen up my steering rack or any ideas anyone has?

cheers

na its defo on the steering rack, the steerin shaft is fine. I know this because everythins been well and good for about half a year until it started doing it again just recently

Have you got P/steering or not? Not that it really matters as the Pinion in the Rack maybe worn....'ish.
Jack up the front of the car and put on stands and get someone else to turn the steering to the far left and far right. Check all nuts on everything, including the Steering arm rubbers for play. Worn balljoints? Knuckle bolts loose?

I'm slowly finding most of the knocks and bangs on our K10 so
if that isn't it then i'll say "DOH!" and look forward to the conclusion ;)

Cheers
Micra 110

iv already had a good luck at it but i will do so again baring all that in mind. Its fine when the cars moving but i know i need to get it sorted.

On another note thought id mention i slid of a lane last month, did a good job of smashin the car up. bent boither wishbones bk in the the arches, ripped out a drive shaft, smashed both front wings, ripped off front bumper, smashed head light and 2 smashed sidelights. Not good lol. (the steering rack was playin up b4 this btw! just so ya all know lol. Oh yeah and i smashed one fo my alloys so im running on steelies on the front for a while!

Its all fixed now anyways, just needs the front respraying. was a good excuse to get my foa bumper on the front anyways!

Since you know the steering rack and shaft is perfectly fine, you could replace everything else around it; nuts, bolts, driveshafts, hubs, wishbones, suspension wheels, arches, windows, fuel tank exhaust chassis.
Seems to me like replacing the whole car is in order after your driving manouver on "the lane"...
:p

tbh honest mate i wouldnt worry about it i had a similar problem with my olf steering rack, i replaced it and still got the sound. its most likely the top of the suspension struts catchin the cup nothing to worry about at all

I would suspect CV joints too on the basis of what you've said, especially if they haven't been done for a while. Have you still got the old steering rack? If so you could pull it apart to see what went wrong, give you some ideas...

Back