steering feels heavier than it used to at low speed

CMF_Rod

» CMF Member
I put this one up for comment a while ago, but no-one really got too inspired by my problem. Having generally searched the internet for clues/advice seems to come up with: "binding in steering linkage", "Steering box or rack" up the creek, or even just "wheels out of alignment" - guess I should just drive to a tyre garage first - but wondered if any of you Micra experts knew what the most likely cause is ? The steering wheel just does not "pull" around smoothly any more - seems to go hard and soft as it is turned, or "heavy then light" as the steering wheel is turned around, - obviously most noticeable at slow speed. Cisco, surely you have come across this before ??
Rod.

CMF_kneival

» CMF Member
Whats it like with the weight off the wheels?

Attachments

• 14742.jpg
    14742.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 16

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
If you have power steering - bleed you fluid and put some fresh stuff in there.

If you don't have power steering - check your tyre pressures and also your tyres themselves. Tyres play a big part in your steering.

CMF_Rod

» CMF Member
Thanks for feedback
This car does not have power steering, - and the problem is getting worse. Probable it is one of the things listed in my initial post, - but feel this is a problem that someone might recognise as one of the "usual suspects". I checked
the tyre pressures soon as noticed the problem, but that's not it.
Rod

CMF_devilstickz

» CMF Member
I've noticed that problem before on my '97 K11. As soon as I get the tracking done it's fine again, until my fiancee (learner driver) bounces it off a kerb again...

Try getting the tracking set and see if that sorts it out for you

Back