Starting Project "Tic Tac"

CMF_Urban

» CMF Member
Well, I'm finally going to start on my Micra.

It's not goig to be a speedy project, Probally drawn out over several years, lol.

I have a lack of knowledge about car parts, And how exactly you fit them onto cars etc, So i will most likely be asking A LOT of stupid little questions, But eh ^_^ The more i ask, the more i know.

So I've decided to start with a Pod filter.

Is there any particular size? Or are they all the same?

(From reading around, I'm thinking 3" is the universal outlet size?)

Is there any minimum in size i should go?

I'll post pictures of what she is so far, Once i scrub her up a little. :$

Cheers Cameron.

CMF_Ghetto Micra

» CMF Member
Answer to your first question. almost any filter will be adequate, "cone" style filters are the most popular. get something maybe around four to six inches long, with a 60mm (2.5") inlet.

remove your factory airbox.

you'll need a 90deg (or a tad more maybe 110deg) bend in 60mm ally, on a long (say 400mm long) big of 60mm ally (welded or by silicon joiner. plonk the pod filter on the end.

so you basically have pipe coming off your throttle body, toward one side of the car (behind battery or simular) with the pod affixed on the end.

You can get cheap pod filters from the local ricer shops for about $25, they work fine.... the pipe work is a different story, most exhaust shops should be able to provide what you need. and if you cant weld, or dont wanna pay for it, use a silicon joiner to join the mandrel bend with the 400mm(ish) length :)

OR, check out the "information" section of this site for some other cold air intake idea's (or search the forum)

good luck! and keep us all updated with pics/progress :)

CMF_Urban

» CMF Member
Thanks for the site!

The only Pod Filter i could find on it with a 2.5" flange was this one:

http://www.modyourcar.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=11_292_72&products_id=3139

Though being $115, Hella expensive :|

I was thinking maybe this one?

http://www.modyourcar.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=11_292_72&products_id=2244

Otherwise can anyone post a link of a pod filter, that's around $50 and i can buy online? As like i said, All these sizes are so confusing *blushes*
---------------

I took some pictures of the engine bay and of the car, She is still dirty but oh well :$ But i can't find the stupid chord needed to download them to the computer! *sigh* Anyways. Once i find it, i'll post some up :)

Thanks, Cameron.

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
I never once said it was a good price.

You may be able to get it cheaper at a local Autobarn if you're prepaired to be a real tight-ass and argue it down. You should be able to get a decent foam type filter for $80.

For $115 I'd be expecting a mounting bracket AND a maintience kit - but that's probably just me being a tight-ass. I only ever go to the movies on a tuesday... So its highly likely that is the case!

CMF_Ghetto Micra

» CMF Member
hehehe. it's all good.

the prices on modyourcar are sometimes not the cheapest, but the service is excellent... you could always email/enquire with the site and just make sure the price is correct before making the order (sometimes product prices need updating) not easy when there's literally tens of thousands of products on an online shop!! haha

CMF_Urban

» CMF Member
Well, I finally found my camera cord!

Whenever i remember to take photos, it always seems night time :p

She's just pretty much stocko, Besides has been lowered, muffler so she has a bit of a growl, mags that are about 5 - 6 years old, and window tint...

So anyways, Here's some pictures.

Will endevour to take some daylight ones, when she has had a wash. Which will most likely be this weekend :)

Cameron.

Back