Odd noise when starting

CMF_martyuk1

» CMF Member
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum so WELCOME ALL! I've had my Silver 2001 Micra Vibe for a few year now, to date I've not had any problems with it. Recently I've been having an odd noise with the engine when starting, it's an odd ERRRR noise when starting. It only seems to happen when it's really cool. Any idea's? Another thing I wanted to ask is, does this model always make a lot of rattle type noise from the belts (more so the power stearing belt) This has made a tapping noise ever since I've had it even those it's not caused a problem. I think it might just be this model as the original one I had when the second generation car came out didn't have power stearing.

I look forward to you responses.

Regards,

Martyuk1.

CMF_martyuk1

» CMF Member
Hi frank,

Thanks for your quick response, The noise is happening while the starter is spinning. The belt thing it a tapping noise, no squealing like you get when a belt is wearing out etc. My older Micra in the early 90's was the same sort of 16v engine but without the power stearing and had a much smoother engine.

Marty.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
marty

its not easy without hearing it myself
a mad grating noise could be the flywheel ring gear or loose starter
a whirring noise could be the starter dieing
as for the tapping noise, i usually hold a big screwdriver to my ear and try different locations ( pump, cam cover, altrnator etc )

frank

Back