Starter motor shorting?

I have an intermittent problem with my K12 (1.2).
Turning on the iginition, I get the usual lights ok - but when I turn the key to start the engine, the instrument lights dim and flicker, there's a solid clunk from the solenoid, but no turnover.

If I put the headlights on, then they dim right down while the key's held at the start position. The relays go crazy and the instruments go through a reboot when I let go the key.

Under the hood, there's a strong rotten egg smell and a fizzing sound from the battery.

It then came good and started normally! Tried starting it half a dozen times (no problem - strong turnover) then it did it again - can't get it to turnover again.

Is it likely to be the starter motor? Shorted windings?

How easy is it to replace? and would I need to drain the oil to replace it?

thanks

Jim

the battery should,nt be fizzing jim ! thats usually a sign of overvolting, i would check its voltage with a meter before buying any parts

Bought a new battery today thinking the old battery was definitely suspect (and probably is), but got thrown when it started normally a few times with the old battery still in. It only fizzes and gases when it's trying to start the car with the starter either jammed or shorted.

I'm worried now about putting in the new fully charged battery and trying again - it's going to have a lot more oomph than the old one.

Is the starter easy to change out?

you,ll probably find that the starter is under the inlet manifold jim (a bit awkward for access, but only 2 or 3 bolts) nissan4u will show some diags of it :)

Back