Standard airbox :O

meji

Club Member (Trial)
I'm not really bothered about performance gains!

I'm just wondering if there's any modifications I can do to my Standard Nissan Micra airbox and if so will they alter the sound of the car?

I'm just wondering if there's any modifications I can do to my Standard Nissan Micra airbox and if so will they alter the sound of the car?

people drill holes in it or replace the original airfilter if you havent already for a k&n panel filter etc made a difference on my k10 and i have a cold air feed pipe aswell (Y)

Ahh right. I think for now I'll just modify the standard one, I can't quite afford a K&N one yet.

What'd be the best way to do this?
Somehow get cold air into the airbox?
Make the airbox bigger, or allow more air in? Etc.

Thanks btw :D

I take it that you just want a noisy and tiresome induction roar then?

No I just didn't want to ask the question "What modifications can be done to a standard airbox?" and then get replies saying "If you want performance increases then an induction kit won't do much". Etc etc.

But basically I really don't care about the performance because I'm happy with my 1.0l Micra.
I just want it to sound a little meatier :D

Thanks!

It seems I guessed correctly :)

Try and be more specific with your questions, then you'll hopefully get the answers you want, not everyone guesses correctly ;)

Ok, thank you.
But to be fair mate, how much more specific do you want? Here in the original post I said "I'm not really bothered about performance gains!" therefore don't post anything relating to performance gains and "will they alter the sound of the car?" this pretty much is asking you guys, what will change the sound of my car?

I'm not having a go, just chatting on :D

Thanks though!

In answer to my response "I take it that you just want a noisy and tiresome induction roar then?" you start with a No :suspect:

No I just didn't want to ask the question "What modifications can be done to a standard airbox?" and then get replies saying "If you want performance increases then an induction kit won't do much". Etc etc.

But basically I really don't care about the performance because I'm happy with my 1.0l Micra.
I just want it to sound a little meatier :D

Thanks!

I'm not trying to have a go, I'm a nice guy honest :) however if you'd just said "I just want it to sound a little meatier :D" you'd have got the right answer, and that is just pull off the intake pipe from the airbox! the beauty of that is that when you get fed-up of the noise you can stick it back on.

No problem :grinning:

Ahhhh I see now, :D hehe.
Yes I'm guessing this is the awful ugly looking black tubing that is located in the top right that comes off the airbox?

I'll give this a go tomorrow after College :D

Thanks man!

honestly the only mod worth doing to the stock airbox is to saw the tip off the resonator pipe. it makes it sound a little meatier and gives you a pony too. drilling/taking off induction pipes will make it sound nice but you'll compromise efficiency and performance.

Ahhhh I see now, :D hehe.
Yes I'm guessing this is the awful ugly looking black tubing that is located in the top right that comes off the airbox?

I'll give this a go tomorrow after College :D

Thanks man!

take it off and replace it with piping...

or get a GA16 airbox, from a 1.6 almera/primera and put a panle filter in, sounds great and is a good first mod :)

with a sportext back box it should sound great

1.6 Almera or Primera airbox, cheap from scrap yard I'm guessing, I'll have a look through my local scrappy this week see what I can pick up.

They had a Micra ages ago with some back box fitted on, looked bolted on not welded or anything and wasn't standard but the stingy scrap man wanted way too much for it and I only had £30.

But I'm sure a 1.6 Almera or Primera airbox won't be hard to find ;D

Ahh good stuff. Luckily I only have one lesson on Wednesdays so I think a trip to the Scrappy is in order like.

Went to the scrappy today and got a Primera air box (had the pipes etc etc too) for £10.
Just fitted it just then and when I started the car up it sounds brilliant. Just what I wanted, just a little titchy bit extra bass sound.
(Standard backbox too btw)

Also my mum fell over in the scrapyard infront of all the people, was pretty funny.

Went to the scrappy today and got a Primera air box (had the pipes etc etc too) for £10.
Just fitted it just then and when I started the car up it sounds brilliant. Just what I wanted, just a little titchy bit extra bass sound.
(Standard backbox too btw)

Also my mum fell over in the scrapyard infront of all the people, was pretty funny.

thats good news (Y) about the airbox i mean

I've used the induction pipes from the Primera, then cut it in half and because the first part of the pipe is flexy I've directed it under the battery for now until I can get a longer one to go from the bumper or something.

EDIT -

I cut the pipe in half because obviously it's too long for the Micra engine bay. So like I'll get a picture tomorrow or whatever.

Yeah I read somewhere that's how he did it.
:D

me and rich cut a short piece off near the flexy bit, and then shoved it into the flexy (a little heat needed).
so you end up with exactly the same shape as the stock one (with the bellmouth behind the h/lamp) :)

he he yeah thats the pic I saw before. MINes like that but the pipe is routed underneath the battery

Back