SR20 conversion, suspension, mounts etc

I have decided after ###### loads of thinking about going GA16DE, to use my spare SR20 and put it in the micra.

I'd like to know what suspension set up I'd need to get to the front, im guessing the coilovers made for micras won't cope with the weight of an SR20 very well???

is there any photos floating around of what needs doing to the chassy members/legs to get the pulleys to fit into the engine bay, and also pics of modifed bulkheads so the inlet system fits in?

and what radiator would I need to get for it or would a ghetto fitted standard SR20 rad out of another nissan fit? Also would a 1.3 power steering rack work with the SR20 power steering system or would that need to be upgraded too?

Thanks,
John.

coilovers for the micra have uprated springs anyway the sr20 N/A lump is about 144kg's without the box if i remember rightly. so its not that heavy imo.

i think the chassis need chopping but someone will post pics and info better than me on that. i just use a big hammer cause ive never sold a car to date they always end up in the breakers so it doesn't bother me lol.

with the rad im pretty sure it has to be moved forward and the sr20 rad has bigger outlet/inlet to the cg13 rad so custom piping or just use the sr20 one.

custom driveshafts or chopped sleeved and welded ones.

gear linkage will need to be chopped and welded.

i think mov mera will be a good one to ask (Y)

just done similar on peugeots. 2.0 hdi into a 205! we went all out. engine, gearbox, subframe, loom. the lot. it having been our first swop, we just went at it, and as you find problems, you sort them then and there. nothing like plummetting blindly into such a big job! first unplug the loom from the engine wherever you can. next is to unbolt the subframe, but still attached to engine in car. put trolley jack underneath with blocks of wood to get the right height! next job is the struts need unbolting. then the engine and gearbox mounts need to come off. as you lower the whole assy down through the car, unhook your steering column. the whole lot will now just fall out! if you left the wheels on the hubs then its moderately easy to move around with the jack as well. as for putting the other one in..... if youve got an sr20 subframe and front end, great (massive wide track but also massive negative camber). if not can i suggest stronger shafts. dont think the micra ones are built for sr20 levels of power and torque.

Back