squeeky window wipers

fraz_micra_88

Ex. Club Member
searched and tryed everything

new blades
took the arms off and used wd40
vasaline lol

but nothing has worked, i refuse to drive in the rain(with it bein scotland kinda hard) so has anyone got anymore suggestions??

fraz:devil:

Wipers can squeak if they're bent. Possible they've been damaged through general use or when the wiper blades were changed / removed

^I would... and get metal arms... my one came fitted with plastic ones... which were not good at all... you can also go an inch larger on the rear wiper... thats what I did... it fits... works fine...

also might help to use windscreen washer... that is when it is raining... and a few drops have fallen... then wash and switch on to intermittent etc... and as you know don't use them when there is frost/ice on the screen - well at least until the frost has been removed.

I had the same problem last month, it nearly drove me insane, it turned out to be the pivot shafts in the actual wiper mechanism, the problem happens because the shafts are made of steel and the housing is plastic, after a few years the plastic wears away and allows movement in the mechanism which lets rainwater in and causing the pin to rust and partially seize, hence the squeak, the solution was simple, either replace the wiper mechanism or strip the one you have and clean it up and grease the moving parts, thats the solution I took and its silent now plus the wiper is more efficient.

dont bother buying new wiper arms, and you've already tried blades. the problem is as sonic says, its the wiper spindle (the turning bit the arm bolts to)that's at fault. it is possible to replace/strip and grease these.

mine squeeks because of the mequiars window cleaner i use :p

or because you need new wiper blades ;)

to test if the spindles are at fault, lift up both wipers and turn them on normals speed, then, being careful!, pull up on the wipers as they are turning, if it squeeks you've found the problem.

im goin 2 try new wiper arms the mora, and if that dont work im takin the windscreen out

i re-placed the blades last month. so thats not my wiper blade squeek problem lol ill try some t-cut on the windscreen lol

have you both tested the wiper spindles like how i have said above, if it's an intermitant problem, you need to do the test when it's squeeking. i can't see new wiper arms making any difference.

My money would still be on the wiper spindles wearing through their bushes, if the wiper arms can be moved about i.e. rocked backward and forward when they are pulled away from screen then they need sorting.

^talking of driving in the rain is there anything... rain guard or something that you can put on your mirrors or windows so what drops off??

It sucks.. couple nights ago it was raining and I was driving slow in the night traffic... could hardly see out the window...

cheers

Back