Spraying..

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
Hi Guys,

Right im planning to spray my rubber/plastic door handles and bottom of front and back bumper with is also the rubber plastic, it started life as maybe a dark grey, no matter what i try i cannot get it back to dark grey and its so light its nearly white and doesnt look right on my black car,

so im planning to spray them black not sure eather to go matt or satin, opinions welcome :p

I just wondered if anyone had tips on doing this? as i cant take them off they car they will need to stay on..

Im planning to use rattle cans for this :)

Thanks in advance :)

I'd go matt. Satin tends to end up looking like neither one thing nor the other.

if there plasticky and not metal you should have no problem getting a good finish with cans... i would go gloss black to match it all. just make sure you remove all the back to black or plastic cleaner on there lol.

so give it a good clean like at a car wash or with like kitchin cleaner first? im assuming i need to sand it all down and things first? or do you not need to on already perfectly smooth plastic? so after spraying, i would need a few layers of laquer right?

clean it with washing soapy water, sand it down with some fine sand paper, get a dry cloth and run over the bits you sanded to clean them, primer, paint and then laquer

I just used rattle cans when I did the same on mine. How it'll fair against stone chips I don't know
It may be worth using a plastisizer spray... I've been told
Oh and I used matte black and it looks really nice.

ahh cool, i baught the primer, paint and laquer today so ive now just gotta wait for a dry warm day with not to much wind, i went for satin black to match my paintwork so ill see how that comes out :p

hey if your spraying plastic do not rub down with sand paper an thats any sand paper it will mark the plastic and show up through the spray...

hey if your spraying plastic do not rub down with sand paper an thats any sand paper it will mark the plastic and show up through the spray...
sorry should of said if you want to key it up to get the paint to stick gently rub it with a wet soapy abrasive sponge...allways spray in short bursts about 15 cm away never go side to side all the time criss cross for a smother and better finnish..

so just quick bursts of the spray can, and something like a wet and dry abbrasive sponge? and do i go side to side but to a line stop, go the other way then stop etc?

so just quick bursts of the spray can, and something like a wet and dry abbrasive sponge? and do i go side to side but to a line stop, go the other way then stop etc?
just burst it edge to edge and yeh criss cross it go one way like 3 to 9 then 12 to 6 you should never go the same way every time it will build up going one way all the time......and as for the sponge kind of like what youd use to was up but dont rub to hard with soap....

ahh okay ill bare it in mind, door handles are first on the list as they can be changed if aqll goes bad haha, but ive just gotta wait for a dry warm day with little wind to get this started :) thanks for the advice, it will be handy :)

ahh okay ill bare it in mind, door handles are first on the list as they can be changed if aqll goes bad haha, but ive just gotta wait for a dry warm day with little wind to get this started :) thanks for the advice, it will be handy :)
thats all right its my job lol...most plastic dont need keying up unless its got paint on it allready lol....

ahh fair enough, well ill look at them and see what they look like first weather they are rough etc, if they are abit rough, shall i do a few coats of primer followed by abit of wet and dry then abit more primer then spray a few coats and then laqure? will that make it shiney like the body paint work rather than the current matt plastic?

ahh fair enough, well ill look at them and see what they look like first weather they are rough etc, if they are abit rough, shall i do a few coats of primer followed by abit of wet and dry then abit more primer then spray a few coats and then laqure? will that make it shiney like the body paint work rather than the current matt plastic?
That should do it but if your using s matt based color paint u wont get a gloss shine even if u laquer.....

i meant the plastic at the moment is like matt plastic, the spray i am using i think is satin black :) so that with laquer should be shiney right?

m8 i used hammerite smooth black spray on mine look's great and you dont need to go over it with laquer either. i done the fog light surround plastic with it aswell.

ooo well ive already baught the primer paint and laquer so if it doesnt go to plan ill go with your options, i need to do,
  • Door handles,
  • fog light blanking plates,
  • and bottoms of the front and back bumper.
should be fun..
although im debating weather to do the bumpers as its the door handles that bug me most as the plastic almost looks white..

you will need to rub down with some sort of paper. go to a paint shop and buy 1500 or 2000 grade paper. its like 40p a sheet, and the results are fantastic. ideally, you want to have a range of sandpaper (i know from experience! a 5 colour scheme on a superbike on www.west62.co.uk) ranging from 240ish (for severe flaws and hard lines on the material) to 2000 for final smoothing of paint before lacquer.

just remember, paint is 90% prep and 10% paint. it doesnt really matter too much how you spray, as long as the paint gets to the material! its the prep work required that gets the finish perfect.

for instance, to apply primer, i rub down the surface with 240, 600, 800 and 1200. i then rub the primer with 1500 and 2000 so the paint will stick well. after 2 layers of paint, rub with 1200 to 2000, or 600 and 800 if crazing happens etc. do this every 2 coats (or you rub off more paint than you put on). once the paint has been sanded to 2000 and is beautifully smooth, get some g3: rubbing compound on it. it goes on wet and comes off wet and is equivalent to 4000 grade paper (the rough stuff, the smooth stuff apparently represents 10000 grade!) then put the lacquer on in a set of layers slightly thicker than the paint. its the thickness of the lacquer that gives it the shine!

never sand down something for paint prep with anything less than 240 or so, unless its wood!

oh, and always use the paper with warm soapy water! it helps clear the paper of crap, and will extend the life of it. also, with water on, you can usually see how good it can look with lacquer!

Back