Splitter smoothing

Robert

Ex. Club Member
Hi guys, the time has come for me to look into getting my Nismo splitters fitted, I'm just trying to decide whether to smooth them in or not really (which is why it's in general chat).

My car has a smooth theme running, so ideally I want to get them smoothed into the bumper, but what are the chances of the filler cracking?

It will be done by a body shop rather than DIY, so I could take it back for repair if it did crack, but I'm not sure I can be bothered with the hassle if it's going to crack again after a month.

So, what are your opinons?

I've seen plenty of stuff smoothed by a body shop and it hasn't cracked, i think they use fibreglass more than filler. Get them smoothed (Y)

If the smoothing on your bumper is still fine? then go for it!

your new splitter will be much lower now wont it though?..

Thing is, depending on whats smoothed, a bodyshop would be disinclined to offer free repair for splits in some smoothed joints in panels..

If its simply just the seam smoothed in, there is no structure in this.. If you hop it off the floor, or a curb.. it will crack..

If theres some decent bridging done, it would be stronger.. but then looks more and more smoothed and cheap..

Id always paint a splitter seperately and fit it with a factory joint.. Unless I was recasting the whole thing and remaking in GRP or somthing..

Back