speedo problems

CMF_mrh

» CMF Member
Hi there,
I have a manual gearbox and the speedo doesn't seem to be working. I just replaced the gearbox so I know it might be the gearing inside that maybe causing me this problem. I was just wondering if anyone out there has expienced this same problem and if there is a simple solution that I have may overlooked. I put the cable in the right way, well it was lined up properly. Could it have dislodged from the speedo cluster inside the dash? Can anyone help me?
Thanks mrh

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah definately mate. Check the cable at both ends.

Was the new gearbox pulled apart internally??

Chances are the plastic speedo drive inside it should be fine, but if its been pulled apart, then it may be out of place or not in there at all.

You could pull out your gauge cluster, make sure you can see the end of the speedo cable while you are driving, roll down the street and see if the inner cable rotates. If it does, then obviously the plastic gear and everything at the gearbox end is fine. If not, then the problem is at the gearbox end, so check both the cable where it attaches into the gearbox, and failing that, it may be the plastic thing inside the gearbox not in the correct spot or missing.

CMF_mrh

» CMF Member
I purchased the gearbox from a wrecker. I saw him remove it from the engine itself and it looked like there was no tampering with the speedo input from the gearbox.

Saying that though I am not sure if the plastic part is in there at all. I just bolted up the bearbox to the engine and realised that the speedo wasn't working. I know that it was working prior due to the gearbox swap.

The wire cable that sits insde the protective outer cable became dislodged while I was putting the engine back in. I slid in the wire cable back in and rotated it until it was firmly positioned. Then I lined up the other end of the cable to the bearbox.

I know that there is a spline that mates the cable to the geabox and I made sure that they had mated.

Back