Speed problem

my car is a 1.0ltr and i used to be able to get 100mph out of it without a problem but lately i hav'nt been on a road where i can get that speed but last nite was on my way to a cruize and it was struggeling to get 80mph i dont understand it acceleration is fine all i have done is fit PAS, alloys, and a sub.

so if anyone has any ideas would be great.

thanks

Grant

I've had 110 out mine, although adding weight won't help your cause.

Doesn't sound like you have added all that much weight though.

it's weird i get to 80mph and still have more on the accelerator and when i push down it just rev's more and dont go faster.

Grant said:
it's weird i get to 80mph and still have more on the accelerator and when i push down it just rev's more and dont go faster.

That's usually a clutch starting to slip.

I need a rev counter - 85 in mine feels like it's doing 8K! I keep waiting for the timing chain to come through the bonnet :) Ha, probably only 5 really.

moschops: about 4.5krpm should be

also alloys do slow you down alot, and cause the speedo to misread, especially at higher speeds!

moschops at 85-90mph in mine i hitting 5,000rpm on my 1 litre. and it goes upto 6,900 rpm max but ive never been faster than GPS speed of 97mph and thats downhill with tailwind! (about 103 on speedo) but ive got alloys, lowered, me, sub.

rlees85 said:
also alloys do slow you down alot, and cause the speedo to misread, especially at higher speeds!

how do they slow you down?
yer but would they would they slow you down over 20mph and or misread 20mph?

i guess not, mine used to read 105mph on the clock on steelies, now when i give it toe it reads about 90

andy s: mine hits 5k rpm at 95 but i think the post 2000k micras have different gearboxes, so anything i said about RPMs in this thread ignore ;)

alloys bigger than the standard 13" will make speedo go out. bigger they alloy bigger the diff. Acceleration and grip are increased because more tyre on the road. But the distance u take to do one full cycle on the wheel is greater than the smaller wheels so the acceleration is increased and top speed is decreased.

If the overall circumference is increased then the top speed will also increase. In theory aftermarket wheels/tyres should have a diameter the same as standard wheels/tyres, but it's not always possible. A profile should be chosen to give the same diameter.
If you have wider tyres then there will be more rolling resistance which may affect top speed too.
I had assumed my non standard alloys would be pretty much the same as standard but at an indicated speed of 80 it's actually doing 74 on the GPS.

ive got the same problem i used to get 105 out of my 1ltr but since putting my k&n and 15 inch wheels on i can only do 85mph with the engine screaming i think because ive got a k&n on its giving me loads more air but not enough fuel so ive got a power booster valve on order cause my mate said it will improve my top end so ill let u know if it fixes it

Cause for slow down!

The reason your car is slowing down is due to the size and on the wheels width of tread on the wheels you have choosen being a 1.0ltr there isnt enough BHP let alone torque in order to over come the extra restistance that the new wheels would create and thats not to mention the increase in ride hight increasing the amount of wind resitance on the car I use to have a 1.0ltr and with the standard 13" wheels down hill with a gail force wind behind me it would just nudge over 100mph as soon as there was an incline in the road it would drop to around 80mph then when I put some 16" wheels on I was stuggling to get 60mph out of it but had great grip. So for you to have been getting 110 out of your 1.0ltr maybe its isnt standard or your not being realistic in what it was capable of and are just noticeing the loss in torque

witty05 said:
ive got the same problem i used to get 105 out of my 1ltr but since putting my k&n and 15 inch wheels on i can only do 85mph with the engine screaming i think because ive got a k&n on its giving me loads more air but not enough fuel so ive got a power booster valve on order cause my mate said it will improve my top end so ill let u know if it fixes it

very doubtful that it will change anything. A 1.0l is slow and underpowered imo. Putting big wheels and subs on them is just gonna slow em even more.

but in theory should bigger wheels make you go faster? because the wheel doesnt have to turn as much a the smaller ones?

which is what i am led to believe.

yeah but its harder work for the engine to turn them as they are heavier and if they are wider then the steelies (which id imagine they are) they'd be more road resistance. 1.0 litre is too slow, hence y im keeping my eyes open for a CGA3DE.

Having said that, putting alloys on my brothers 1.1 fiesta made a bigger difference (for the worse) then putting alloys on my 1.0 micra did.

if the wheel is bigger, thus its heavier... making it harder 2 turn... making u slower

well that slaped me in the face like a wet fish.

i spose that it is a good excuse to tune it up lol. will an induction kit help?

thanks

I would say put a 1.3 in ur car... worth every penny... u get like an extra 20-30 bhp... not sure what the hp is on a 1.0L like

then put a manifold, back box, and de-cat lol

yes it does, total torque machine with decent power. Any type of forced 1.3 will be impressive if done correctly.

1.0 pre 2000 = 55hp ish
1.0 post 2000 = 59hp
1.3 = 74hp ish

should get a decent 1.3 engine for £100 if you keep your eyes open, £150 if you want the gearbox aswell

up here, i can get a 1.3 engine and box for £70 :S cos there are loads of micras around. Just phone different places for quotes, it's very little effort to get some.

Does the Janspeed manifold do that much?
And how much extra do u get from the De-cat?

why bother!

Why bother with an engine transplant the hassle and costs involved you might aswell buy a 1.3 Micra as a whole there as cheap as chips. or failing that just apreciate the 1.0ltr for what it is and thats great fun cheap to run and insure just try and trade in the wheels that youve put on it for something a bit smaller I had some 15" OZ GT wheels on my old 1.0ltr without to much top end loss from what I remember I was only loosing about 10MPH but the grip what fantastic then when your insurence is low enough get a car that you dont have to rip the granny out of in order to feel a breeze in your hair (no offence to the older Micra owners) Thats what my plans are.

dont get me wrong i love my micra, it was just a big suprise t loose that much when i thought that i would be gaining. thats what i have 15". there 195/45/15's. and the grip is just something else the car is sp planted. its just now i cant keep up and beat my mate as much now.

at the end of the day, ur only allowed to go 70mph.... :devil:
as long as ur accel. hasnt been affected then ur ok

here here

runaway-robot said:
at the end of the day, ur only allowed to go 70mph.... :devil:
as long as ur accel. hasnt been affected then ur ok

absolutley, cant say I always adhear to the rules tho

Antsub said:
Why bother with an engine transplant the hassle and costs involved you might aswell buy a 1.3 Micra as a whole there as cheap as chips. or failing that just apreciate the 1.0ltr for what it is and thats great fun cheap to run and insure just try and trade in the wheels that youve put on it for something a bit smaller I had some 15" OZ GT wheels on my old 1.0ltr without to much top end loss from what I remember I was only loosing about 10MPH but the grip what fantastic then when your insurence is low enough get a car that you dont have to rip the granny out of in order to feel a breeze in your hair (no offence to the older Micra owners) Thats what my plans are.

^^ Nail+head+hit right on there.
End of the day you can get all the parts (exhaust etc) for the 1l and then swap them to a 1.3 if you want, or just enjoy the extra increase in power you have and move on to somtehing else.

Back