amp cut out?

C

chris_k11

ok i have a black box II running vibe 6x9s

when you turn the volume right up and the bass is on the amp has started to cut out (power off) then it cuts back in..if u leave the volume alone it then cuts straight back out but if you turn the volume down then they stay on until you turn them back up?
any idea...wires to check?

chris

Make sure the connectors on the speakers are not touching any metal. I had this on the ones in my doors, and when they vibrated so much, they connected with the metal and cut out! I've since insulated them with tape and they're awesome

Sounds like a thermal overload to me.
Trying to push to much through them, so the automatic override is shutting it off. When it switching itself back on (without turning it down) it realising it still too high, cuts off again. but when u turn it down it feels it can handle it so stays on.

Similarities to what stick welders do etc after constant use. they have thermal override aswell switch themselves off till they cool down.

ok ill adjust the gain and wrap the wires and see what happenns...cheers guys
chris

'sketch'
i just found the manual and it says if this happens then it could be the thermal protection unit..says check location for suitable ventilation...but its only kinda started happening since its got a little colder...
i have had this all summer and had no problems>
is it best to get an auto electritions to look at it?
chris

In my honest opinion i would check the wiring.

Make sure nothing has been disturbed.

You say colder outside?
Meaning you are there for putting the heating on inside the car?
Maybe this is the result of this. how is the amp enclosed?
#any pictures etc

hmm good point i have had the heater on...by my feet...and the amp is under the passengers seat?
ill try tomorrow with no heat...
cheers for your help
chris

Back