Speaker/Amp Setup Cost?

CMF_nzallblacks1

» CMF Member
Hi,

Just went down to the local car audio store and recieved a quote for 2 pioneer speakers (one in each door), pioneer head unit and a pioneer 300W amp - $600 fitted.

I'm just trying to gather some prices that other people have paid to have the same sort of work done. This is the first quote I've received and will be getting a few more, but just wanting to get a general idea first.

Thanks.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Don't be afraid to mix and match brands! Shop around..

To be honest your budget sucks - I wouldn't be trying to set up a system with an amp for $600.

Headunits is the next bit thing. MP3? DVD? iPod capable? This will chew up most of your budget (at least $300, which leaves $300 for wiring, amp and speakers - that a bit tight IMO considering a decent 2 channel amp will set you back $200, wiring $25 if you're lucky and decent speakers around $160 for one of the 'big brand' names like pioneer).

Quite frankly I'm happy with the $170 Clarion DB356MP i bought brand new on ebay for $170 ages ago and the $78 (pair) hertz 6" 2-way speakers I bought on special at Autobarn along with some sheilded wire from **** smith so i could run new wires to the speakers. It is lightweight and does the job with clarity (i can have the sunroof wound back and the windows down, crank my tunes while i'm doing 110km/hr and there is no distortion, unlike the standard speakers). I ditched the rear speakers completely.

I also suggest allocating a minimum of $50 to sound deadening for the doors. This will improve sound quality and bass response quite dramatically.

I could be a bit out on prices. I'm not a car audio nut and I'm certainly not up to date on prices.

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
If youre putting alot of sound system in a car, make sure you have an alarm system installed. Big subs and fancy speakers can often act as a big sign saying "ROB ME".

If its not part of your budget, raise your budget and get a simple alarm system. Something that makes a sound is better than silence. I got an el cheapo from ebay, and rigged it up to act beside my immobiliser, so if they do bypass the alarm, the car still isnt going anywhere. But generally, if the car starts making a sound when its been broken into, the would be theif will run like a bastard.

That is, if you dont have an alarm already tho. :D
Good luck!

CMF_nzallblacks1

» CMF Member
yeah mate im thinking the exact same thing as you - im getting an alarm/immobiliser installed tomorrow.

im heading down to a few other audio places today to get a few more quotes, and ill enquire about sound deadening, i hadnt even thought about that.

CMF_nzallblacks1

» CMF Member
headunit: DEH-2850MP
speakers: TS-A1681S
amp: GM-3200T

The guys i went to see today suggested that it would be a better option to purchase a 4 channel amp (GM-6200F), and install a sub, thus the speakers can be left to handle mid/high ranges.

the problem is, the only space to install a sub seems to be the boot, and ill be using the boot quite a bit during summer to carry around all my cricket gear, so im not so sure if this is the best move.

not to mention the added costs.. if i can get away with not installing a sub, that would be the best option.

also, with the sound deadening, where is this available?

thanks guys.

CMF_nzallblacks1

» CMF Member
yeah ill have a look at that on the weekend, sounds like quite a good idea.

does anyone have any other positions to install a subwoofer other than the boot? i realise its a pretty small car but i dont want to take away any of the boot space.

thanks

Back