spark plugs

My standard plugs were miss firing so i purchased a set of the denso iridium plugs form micrasport.com

But...........

On idle the engine is fine but today after putting the new plugs in my car was suffering badly form a major flat spot as when i gradly put my foot donw in 4th gear doing 40mph it just died and went blurrrrrrrrr.

So i changed down to 3rd and brought the revs back up and it was fine until it happend in 3rd doing 30mph???????/

On the packet it states "0.4mm" does this eman the gap is set to 4mm and i should have reset it to 6mm like normal cars or is there somehting else causinjg my flat spot.

What is the standard gap for plugs in the k11?

many thnaks jason

I wouldnt set them at 6mm as the haynes book says 1.0 and 1.3 litre 1.1 mm and its the same for 1.4 litre engines....so if they are 4mm then the gap is to big (electrode) that is

no, if the gap is 0.4mm and you want to make it 1.1 you need to make it bigger.

Set your feeler gauges to 1.1mm, and push it under the electrode to open it up.

Your map may also cause your flatspots.

to close gap in spark plug hold plug in hand by nut around ceramic with the electrode tip pointing down then just tap plug down on flat surface gently this will close the gap. to open gap there should be a implament on feelers to open it with if not just use a small screw driver..1.1 Millimetre(s) = 0.0433070866 Inch(s) if your using imperial gauges

:suspect: riiiiiiiite and i get these guages from a car shop im guessing yes?

im posotive it said on the box 0.4mm .....so phil is right in saying i need to make the gap bigger?

Sorry guys BUT IGNORE EVERYTHING that has been said so far.

For a start those plugs are in my experience unrelaible in a pulsar mapped correctly, let a lone something pretty experimental like this.

0.4mm represents the tip of the electrode DIAMETER. Look at it, you will see its tiny.

These kind of plugs tend to get spark blow out and flodded very easily. I say get rid of them and get a set of totally bog standard NGK in a heatgrade 8. That should be where you start from. Expect to pay around £3-4 a plug. They are NOT expensive.

If you suspect there is a problem with the fueling on a turbo car DO NOT DRIVE IT. I cannot stress this enough. Take it back to the builders and get it checked. If you drive it around with misfires etc your taking a very real risk of engine damage.

Ed

I find denso unreliable in cars making 150-200+bhp/litre or more.

Back