Spark plug spanner!

Managed to do my first service this weekend: oil, air and fuel filters; brakes, pads and discs etc. But couldn't change the blinking plugs. I've got 4 plug spanners, non of which fit down the hole. Any ideas?

Cheers

have you got a good ratchet set?
Remember NOT to force it incase you break it inside...
I'm sure you're not that stupid since you seem to know what you're doing...

Many thanks.

Yep, I've tried that but the socket won't fit down the hole. It's quite odd as everyone says it is standard, but none of my standard plug spanners work.

Cheers anyway.

magicman said:
Many thanks.

Yep, I've tried that but the socket won't fit down the hole. It's quite odd as everyone says it is standard, but none of my standard plug spanners work.

Cheers anyway.

Are you spanners imperial or metric?

Can't you fashion something to fit the plug from your ratchet set that you can fasten to one of your standard spark plug key's?

They are metric. I've got 3 and have tried a neighbour's socket too (he used to manage a car workshop and is as stuck as me), it's really weird. The problem is I cannot get the socket through the top to get to the plug. I've changed plugs on numerous cars before and am feeling like a right numpty.

Looks like I've got to get a garage to change the plugs for me :blush:

Standard sockets dont work do they, you need a special spark plug socket.

Dont bother with a socket wrench, they dont always fit!

Yep, too wide. I've tried a couple of motor factors and they have the standard sized spanners. Might nip out to Halfrauds to see if they do a slimline version.

Cheers

the spark plug socket will work fine, its not the same as a standard socket but frauds etc will sell one! Its exactly what u need

I just shoved a socket down and used the ratchet extention... I don't know how long yours is though! :(
Other than that Halfrauds it is! :)

-Jamie

Just thought I would check that the garage had given me the correct plugs, and guess what?! No wonder nothing fitted; I was trying to get a 14mm socket into a 10mm plug hole.

Feel like a right plonker for not checking sooner. :glance:

Thanks for all the replies. All is well now.

LMAO, was trying that in my bros Corsa, he'd brought the wrong plugs....the socket was the same size as the hole!! lol

But his head gasket has gone n the engines not got long left so I just told him to not bother, just destroy the engine, then go Jap!!!

spanners aside... about the oil filter... where did you get the removal tool from and how much? thanks.

I just used a latex glove. It came off quite easily. You can use a thing called a "baby boa" which is a rubber strap connected to a plastic handle (about £10), and halfrauds do a filter remover.

Anotehr method is to drive a screwdriver through it and use that as the lever. But you have to be careful with this method as you can damage the block and you do end up covered in oil.

Back