Somebody tried to steal my car!... why? (need info on good scrappies)

dg_unit

Club Member (Trial)
Pretty much says it above. Now need to spend my day looking for a white K10 3dr drivers door because that will be a lot cheaper than the £200 excess for my insurance company. Thankfully my DIY immobiliser means I've still got a car to drive in so does anybody know any white K10s in scrap yards within a few hours of Brighton or any decent scrap yards other than Bridges in the south area. I don't mind a few hours drive if it means I get some white doors. Don't want to drive around with a red one if I can help it.

Thanks.

Untill you find one just bend the existing door back into place, it won't be as strong as it was but at least it'll keep the weather out. I had to do the same thing a few years ago unfortunately, which is why i've had steel bars welded inside the door pillars on all my k10s.

I think I remember seeing some pics of that. When I get a new door I'll definitely be looking to do that. Gonna fit a loud alarm as well.

Karl; No dude you can't see them, they are between the two door skins and run up the a and b pillars. Imagine removing the window rubber/guide and looking into that empty cavity behind there. The pillars bend at the base so with the bar in there it prevents movement of more than 20mm. Because you are effectively trying to push the bar against the inner skin of the thickest part of the door, the frame. My dad came up with the idea of welding razor blades along the top edge of the door, where you would grab it from, but i think that would be a little OTT.

A k10s best immobiliser is to pull out the coil to dizzy lead, it has to be a fairly determined theif to have brought one of those

Doesn't stop them from bending the hell out of your door, smashing your steering column mouldings and distroying the ignition wiring though does it lad... and if that happens it's game over, car scrapped. Best prevent them from even bending the door back, with an alarm fitted it'll start sounding off as soon as they start tugging. It was just a basic £20 alarm from argos that saved my 1st micra from being stolen so it's worth it.
These days i don't mess around when it comes to security, top of the line alarm and immobiliser system every time, plus physical security on the inside of the car like disk-locks etc...

Burn marks; no burn marks if you do it right, cold wet cloth against the painted surface and use a mig welder.

You just use a thinner guage wire on a lower power setting, and you don't go full bead on it either, just use lots of little spot welds. (Y)

My dad came up with the idea of welding razor blades along the top edge of the door, where you would grab it from, but i think that would be a little OTT.

Right now i think that will be just the ticket! A whole day mucking about trying to fix it. Now I've gotta hunt high and low for brown column mouldings for a pre-facelift (not holding my breath) as well as get my door fixed. Stupidly I decided I needed to take the door off to bend it back. When I went to put it back on, wrecked the thread for the bolts. Thankfully they didn't cut any wires. Alarm fully fitted now and I've got rid of the door pull things so even if they do bend it back they will have a job getting in. Made nome nice little caps to fill the holes.

porkpie, any chance you could stick a link on here to your old post with the pics of the bars you put in the door etc? Might see if anyone closer can do the job for me. thanks.

Right now i think that will be just the ticket! A whole day mucking about trying to fix it. Now I've gotta hunt high and low for brown column mouldings for a pre-facelift (not holding my breath) as well as get my door fixed. Stupidly I decided I needed to take the door off to bend it back. When I went to put it back on, wrecked the thread for the bolts. Thankfully they didn't cut any wires. Alarm fully fitted now and I've got rid of the door pull things so even if they do bend it back they will have a job getting in. Made nome nice little caps to fill the holes.

porkpie, any chance you could stick a link on here to your old post with the pics of the bars you put in the door etc? Might see if anyone closer can do the job for me. thanks.

Don't know I this is what you are talking about buddy but a scrap yard in St Helens I know has a brown interior pre facelift in last time I was there
G & E Carbreakers
My mum knows the owner of the yard I got my ma12 from them

dg; i never took any pics of the bars so i don't have any links for ya, sorry dude, and i don't really wanna pull eveything off my door again to take some.
Why take the door off to bend it? you have no referance that way, you need to be able to shut the door and check the gap as you do it. Open, bend, shut, check, that kind of thing. But it has to be said there is no substitute for an alarm, stick the led on the bolt cavity cover on the right hand side of the dash where it's nice and visible, good detterant. Even a cheapy plastic chicken alarm is enough to alert you and everyone else when some one has a go at your car and is enough to make em run.

I don't think I was really thinking straight when I pulled the door off. Pretty stupid mood. Wasted a lot of time and as you said, needs to be on the car to line up properly.

It's now got a red LED visible from the window but I didn't want it too obvious in case somebody thinks there's something worth stealing inside. Unless demand for LW/MW radios goes up there really isn't anything. Also put the alarm on, got rid of the door opener pull things and covered hole with a cap so if anyone does bend the door they'll have a job to open it. Finished off with some alarm stickers on the windows. That should do for now. Thinking of ways to make a metal steering column cover. Would probably look awful.

Argh all the good stuff is up north. Can't believe nobody's scrapping nice little white K10s with baby sick brown interiors down here :(

Argh all the good stuff is up north. Can't believe nobody's scrapping nice little white K10s with baby sick brown interiors down here :(
might be worth checking GW bridges in pease pottage. and in whatever case perhaps a respray on another coloured door? i will look in the scrappies (pease pottage) saturday for you as i'm going there anyways! :)

EDIT: notice you already mentioned bridges. oops nevertheless i will check saturday as i will be there.

Back