Some help for a better sounding system

Stani1029

Club Member
Basically when ive got music on in the car its just not loud enough of got enough bass to it. The almera and lexus i had were great and they had a standard system so if someone can point me to better front/rear speakers or even headunit. Ive got a brand new lg one at the moment

Hmm this interests me also!

I've just fitted ford fiesta mk4/5 speakers to the parcelshelf of the micra (Cheap mod ftw) and one of the speakers doesnt work, but the 1 that does eats the front alive for breakfast, better trebble response, good bass response (But not best) so a supporting sub works wonders, although the stock speakers are ok for bass.

I think if you set up some tweeters with crossover to the main front speakers, the micra speakers should sound quite good!

tweeters and mids for the front. sub in the back. you don't really need rear speakers.
i am using japanese pioneer speakers and a jvc headunit. and a 12" sub in the boot. :D

Stani, HU is important but not that much. I use an old Silvercrest shi..sh that can only play music trough AUX. :p

The most important is the front line, the rear is more for a richer and balanced sound.
You definitely!!! need to go for a set of component speakers. I got Pioneer TSE-17ci. Fabulous sound!

ts-e170ci_cAT.jpg

Installed:

p1090309j.jpg

I also use an active subwoofer to give it a bit of punch :)

This baby is now under the pass seat:

p1070848f.jpg

piontswx11a.jpg

And this is where the music comes from:

p1090338l.jpg

The rear line is pretty much standard 6/9 speakers.../ to be replaced by Pioneer TSE-13ci at some stage though...

You can go for the same or similar set up and you'd be more than please unless you look for a 1000+ W sound, which I think is unnecessary for a day runner.

Ah, and another important point: sound deadening for the front doors and boot. Best option I believe is
Secondskin Damplifier Pro Kit - fantastic results!!!

p1070882.jpg

(Y)(Y)(Y)

I've got a secondhand xplod headunit with aux and usb inputs, standard door speakers (for now), FLI rear speakers and a secondhand 300w Fusion amp and 12" sub bought for 20 quid off ebay and it sounds really good for £80 all in :laugh:

Stani, HU is important but not that much. I use an old Silvercrest shi..sh that can only play music trough AUX. :p

The most important is the front line, the rear is more for a richer and balanced sound.
You definitely!!! need to go for a set of component speakers. I got Pioneer TSE-17ci. Fabulous sound!

ts-e170ci_cAT.jpg

Installed:

p1090309j.jpg

I also use an active subwoofer to give it a bit of punch :)

This baby is now under the pass seat:

p1070848f.jpg

piontswx11a.jpg

And this is where the music comes from:

p1090338l.jpg

The rear line is pretty much standard 6/9 speakers.../ to be replaced by Pioneer TSE-13ci at some stage though...

You can go for the same or similar set up and you'd be more than please unless you look for a 1000+ W sound, which I think is unnecessary for a day runner.

Ah, and another important point: sound deadening for the front doors and boot. Best option I believe is
Secondskin Damplifier Pro Kit - fantastic results!!!

p1070882.jpg

(Y)(Y)(Y)

interesting tweeter position?! could you tell me if you needed spacers for those mids? and is it a matter of just screwing through the door card to mount that tweeter? also, where did you position the crossover unit? :) i like the look of that sub, are they ok to put up with being kicked a bit - what with being under the passenger seat??fwn

interesting tweeter position?! could you tell me if you needed spacers for those mids? and is it a matter of just screwing through the door card to mount that tweeter? also, where did you position the crossover unit? :) i like the look of that sub, are they ok to put up with being kicked a bit - what with being under the passenger seat??fwn

Hi, mate
You do need spacers. I made my own from 10mm cable :). The tweeters are mounted/screwed directly on the door card. The sub - you can not expect miracles from it as it's only 150W, but it's enough to give you a punch, nice one. Hope it helps(Y)

R-reg... that's some awesome stuff!!!

Hi, mate
You do need spacers. I made my own from 10mm cable :). The tweeters are mounted/screwed directly on the door card. The sub - you can not expect miracles from it as it's only 150W, but it's enough to give you a punch, nice one. Hope it helps(Y)

R-reg... that's some awesome stuff!!!

10mm cable? i'm intrigued!!! i was looking at using some EVA type (closed cell) foam and just cut the spacers out - no need to drill holes etc :) i have no place/time to do the MDF spacer thing :) plus i thought the foam would help with rattle....
what's your thoughts on that?
i like that Pioneer sub as i could probably install it without the Mrs noticing ;)!!

I second what Shaun said about the rear speakers: more weight, thieves appealing, pain to pass the wires from the front to the rear or the car if you don't already have them, and I don't like the sound coming from behind.

I also second Penyo said: a good set of front speakers, some good tweeters (stock OEM tweeters are a bit too weak, but it's a good upgrade compared to nothing, and the A pillar is the best place to install them, just in the frond/side height of your ears).
Don't hesitate to invest in some anti viabration foil if you buy 50+watts speakers.

Sub is a bit overdone, bass are too loud, it takes place, it's heavy, it's exensive and it creates ridiculous vibrations. Imho it's smarter to invest in a good/excellent front + tweet kit than buying an average front kit + expensive sub.

Also head unit is an important thing, you don't have the same sound quality with a 25£ noname than with a 99£ JVC or Panasonic, there are very good brand bottom of range models . My cousin bought a 25eur new "i random" but the sounds was so lame he bought the same Panasonic as mine, bargain on ebay. Go for a model with both USB and jack input, it's very practical.

So to sumup my advice would be to buy a used good branded hu with inputs + a good kit front + tweets. Hope it helps Stani !

Back