solid drilled/ grooved discs any good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231994071258
im thinking of changing my discs basily for looks and also possibly improved braking (if minor as expecting)
i do a decent amount of either long or heavy-ish braking and noticed the std can suffer some days (and im not been racing it just alot of down hills, free wheeling for fuel ect..)
ive read they can crack but mainly when track day?
life span do last about the same as the std discs and will there be any improvement over std
im would not expect vented performance but just over the std solid

im going to rebuild the calipers as the o/s is sticking at times and looks they may be due it now

thanks jack

Get yourself braided hoses and change out all the brake fluid as it only has a 3 year life span before water builds up. I don't know about the discs and pads for best performance but yer in the right place to meet someone who does

Get yourself braided hoses and change out all the brake fluid as it only has a 3 year life span before water builds up. I don't know about the discs and pads for best performance but yer in the right place to meet someone who does
yeah its getting the fluids change cause i believe they are original and with brake fluid been hygroscopic its probs got some moisture lol
at the worse it may either need a piston or caliper its self
im just overhauling it the best i can as its in constant use and never get proper time to sort it normally

I found a g-clamp brilliant for overhauling calipers, leave the brake line connected to pump the piston out enough to see its condition. A rip in the seal could leave the piston gummed up and just need a squirt of brake cleaner or wire wool. Use the g-clamp to wind the piston back in without damaging the seals but remember to open the reservoir cap.. I got a one man bleeding kit from hein gerick for £10, worth its weight in gold. Pump the fluid until the bubbles stop, just keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir

funny out of all the tools even brake pipe clamps we've never had a brake wind back and i ended up going to a good few car shops and tool shops big and small engine up at machine mart who just got them in today and he sold half the stock already cause they are the only ones who keep them in stock to a reasonable price
i know the dust cover is begining to go funny and there was some crap on the piston i cleaned off so your probs right
it was dodgy yesterday tho it pretty bad rain the o/s brake began to stick badly they stop for 2 minutes and reversed a few feet it was ok (still binding alittle)
but im just going to do the lot get it all sorted specially since ive owned the car for 8 months and its almost done more miles then it ever done in its life a year and im planning on keeping it for a while ;)

Both drilled and slotted are supposed to allow used pad material and gases created whilst braking to escape. I say supposed because they will clog up from what I've read, drilled is better from this point of view. Niether drilled or slotted are going to do much for cooling or braking power other than letting them work a bit more efficiently.

image.jpg
My AD18V brake upgrade, highly recommended

Last edited:
Back