brakes - what do I need?

madmezza

Ex. Club Member
I'm thinking of replacing my front brakes over Christmas (pads and discs) as they're a little on the low side.

I've read a little about Green Stuff and drilled/grooved discs etc. What do people recommend? I want decent stopping ability without going over the top (I commute 150 miles per day, mainly on motorway - I just want some confidence that I'm going to stop if I need to!).

Cheers

Tbh uprated k11 discs are no match for standard 1.6 sunny discs.

find a set of 1.6 sunny calipers (normally around £10-20 from a scrappy), a seal kit from nissan to refurb them(£40 and optional) and discs, pads (£60).

As they are vented they dont really fade compared to standard discs and pads. Plus there is always room for more upgrading in the future to uprated sunny pads and discs.

i was thinking about this and what about the later spec k11 brakes? iirc these are vented discs and would again be a straight swap?? micra hub to micra hub is my thinking, anyone whos got them wanna say what they are like?

but as mike said sunny brakes are the better option but normal driving grooved/drilled discs and decent pads would a make a bit of a difference.

:)

I'm using 1.6 calipers and they are great, a defo upgrade for anyone thinking of brakes upgrades.

If you fancy the look of vented/drilled discs, get 1.6 calipers and those discs then.

Fitting is as easy as the guide shows, old ones off, news ones on plus the washer and bingo.

All k11's use the same brakes, the ga16 upgrade doesn't give a to big a upsprung weight disadvantage.

mike

mike said:
All k11's use the same brakes

ok, hmm well then there was a 02 k11 for sale in a garage near me with vented discs and calipers, guess they were changed from the micra ones at some point.

sorry to hijack your thread madmezza

but does any know if the 1.6 caliper etc.... are the same on the primera/almera or only the ones on the sunny are the ones to use, in other words are primera 1.6 calipers any good for the micra, eg, fit straight on like sunny calipers??

im using jdm primera calipers on my car as they are the same as the pulsar gti-r one's, however to be safe just get them off a sunny.

Mike

If you want over the top braking then the GTI-R discs are the way forward however i know you need small washers to space the caliper carier as it will catch the disc otherwise. other than that - does your micra have ABS (ie rear discs? )

If it does then do what i'm planing - black diamond vented and grooved discs front and back with fast road pads - over all setg up for all round would be near £350 but well worth it.

wilsonian said:
well i was going to get GTI-R front brakes but though considering i have ABS it should be good enough ;)
abs doesn't improve your breaking as such, it just doesn't let you lock the wheels up so that you can steer in an emergancy stop. you would benefit from bigger breaks because it would take longer for the abs to 'kick in'.

Back