So what's the 160sr like?

zanes

Ex. Club Member
Right, as I am going on placement next year, and the K11 is somewhat knackered now, it's time to look for another car.

At the moment, I'm looking in the warm supermini area. Obviously, having always driven a micra a K12 is an obvious choice. Hello 1.6!

So, what are they like to drive/live with. I've read reviews, honest john etc and they seem ideal. Anyone got any opinions, problems or alternatives*? I guess this is asking the converted, but it never hurts to hear some opinions.
What's the MPG like?

*ie. 1.6 warm supermini. Considering 160sr, C2 VTR/GT, Sportka, etc.

Well i've had my 160sr since December last year so 5 months now. I haven't had the chance to put it to the test on the track etc but it is a very nice car.

Pro's -

Quicker than a Saxo VTR, good build quality, lovely handling (firm but not stupidly firm), good fuel economy (mines averaging 42.6 after about 1000 miles without reseting the trip thats town, motorway, just basic normal driving) the engine sounds fantastic after 2800RPM looks nice

Con's - Many male friend may take the p!ss until they try and take you on in a traffic light grand prix, limited space but thats nevers been a major issue, its bigger than it looks. Other drivers tend to under estimate the car and you may start seeing the front end of most cars close to your rear but seeing as you drive a micra already you will be used to that.

The car is amazing and is well worth a purchase. The more you drive it the more you'll love it!!! Any further more specific queries?

Ok thanks!

What's the tyre life/cost like- I've heard rumours/reports of poor life. Do they include mp3 connectivity, it looks like some do, some don't. Also, while I'm thinking, what are the (front) seats like?

Obviously, the obvious solution is me taking a test drive, but that won't happen until I finish uni for the year, so early June.

Yes, I'm used to all of the joys of micra ownership. But that's sort of why I'm thinking of the 160. Nicely understated, not tarted up with all kinds of tat.

i don't think my tyres have been changed since new and they are just turning illegal i think the previous owner/garage changed the front to rear to get a bit more life out of them :( quotes i've got from blackcircles suggest its about £66 a tyre to be fitted for some half decent rubber. Not checked local garages yet but ive had my girlfriends dad on the prowl and they are all about £60 a corner, so not too bad and thats for the 185/50/16.

I think the year after mine (mines 55) got MP3 connectivity mine however didnt :( The front seats are comfy, firm but not too firm, they hold well but could be more supportive but its not a major issue.

Only problem i can see is that if you want any mods doing, Cat-back exhaust, backbox etc you will have to go custom which is better because the performance will be better but it is more costly.

Just take a test drive, thats what sold it too me! Pulls like a beast! hehe...get another 160 on the road :)....

After driving a K11 from 1996 and a K12 from 2003 I now drive a 160SR from 2006. And it's a fun car to drive! Fast enough for everyday use, but not blazing fast. I very much like the acceleration in 3rd gear from 3000rpm and above, nice light roarrrr also.

Seats are comfy but when cornering too fast not very firm, I tend to move towards the door too much. But hey, maybe I'm cornering TOO fast?! :p

Maintenance is fairly cheap, it's a Nissan. Tuning is more expensive. Overhere in Holland almost nothing is available unfortunately.

Mine has no MP3, only a 6-CD unit. But luxury it is, climate control, electric mirrors, rainsensor, ESP, intelligent key etc

Overall : fast enough, cheap and reliable! (Y)

Cheers guys! As mentioned above I think I'll take a test drive of the 160, along with a swift sport (much more expensive) or a mazda 2/3 (sensible option). A ###### they don't make these any more!

Ive had mine for just over a year (got it new on an 08). Im really happy with it.

Mine has an MP3 jack where the plastic gear gaitor meets the leather at the base of the gear stick. To be honest I hardly ever use it, as the radio is good and mine has 6 CD.

Front drivers seat is good, the passenger is not (apparently). My mrs complains it isn't as comfortable, and I think that's because the passenger seat has the hidden storage compartment beneath. Storage is a bit pointless anyway, but there you go. Like Rimski, I would say the fronts could have a little more side support, if you chuck it round a corner or roundabout you do need to keep a reasonable grip on the steering wheel!!!!

Mine had the Conti contact II's on it from new (185/50/16) and lasted 24'000. I switched fronts and rears over once to get even wear and recently replaced all four with 195/45/16 toyo TR1's. When really pushed they arent quite as grippy, but then I dont want to put it in a hedge so its no problem. The toyo's are 1. Much cheaper and 2. Much quieter on the road.

Im current doing 46MPG which is good, but Im not sure how completely accurate it is. I use almost the same amount of petrol per week (going to and from work etc) as I did in my old KA

The only other thing I think isn't great if how noisy it is on the motorway, the engine sits well above 3000 at 70 in 5th, almost needs another gear, and this combined with the, not brill, sound insulation makes it a bit noisier than other little cars - My mrs has a MK5 fiesta, which is so quiet when I drive that instead. - If you can test on a motorway see what you think.....

There does seem to be quiet a few low miles cars so the lack of brand new should't be a problem. I looked at a Swift too, but couldnt justify the extra - the swift insurance group is much higher and the tyres are 17's ££££

In all its a good little (cheap) sleeper.

Yep, I'm looking at 55/06 cars with <25,000 miles on. Interesting about the toyos, how much were they if I may ask?

Looks like we are in a similar situation- The swift I feel is more a "baby" hot hatch, whereas the 160 is definitely a warm hatch.I like the sleeper aspect of it.

46mpg? Wow, that's better than I used to get in the K11.

Motorways aren't a massive worry as my placement commute is 12 miles of unclassified and b roads, with the occasional motorway trek. It'll be better than the old 1.0 anyway!

must agree with the motorway noise but ive found for some reason its quieter at 75 than 70, probably something to do with the speed of the cams etc

I would love to see more 160SR's on the road as mine is the only one i've seen, i've seen "sport" models but they aint SR's hehe!

From memory the were approx £65 fitted per corner, I was looking at £85 fitted for the 185/50 conti's, and like I said much less road noise was a definate bonus......

Yep, I'm looking at 55/06 cars with <25,000 miles on. Interesting about the toyos, how much were they if I may ask?

Looks like we are in a similar situation- The swift I feel is more a "baby" hot hatch, whereas the 160 is definitely a warm hatch.I like the sleeper aspect of it.

46mpg? Wow, that's better than I used to get in the K11.

Motorways aren't a massive worry as my placement commute is 12 miles of unclassified and b roads, with the occasional motorway trek. It'll be better than the old 1.0 anyway!

Awesome

just bought the 160sr yesterday on a 55 plate, and all i can say that it is awesome, its like a big go kart! its got heated leather seats too! bit of understeer especially in the damp but other than that its pretty quick,
i nailed a 320i yesterday so im chuffed

Well i've had my 160sr since December last year so 5 months now. I haven't had the chance to put it to the test on the track etc but it is a very nice car.

Pro's -

Quicker than a Saxo VTR, good build quality, lovely handling (firm but not stupidly firm), good fuel economy (mines averaging 42.6 after about 1000 miles without reseting the trip thats town, motorway, just basic normal driving) the engine sounds fantastic after 2800RPM looks nice

Con's - Many male friend may take the p!ss until they try and take you on in a traffic light grand prix, limited space but thats nevers been a major issue, its bigger than it looks. Other drivers tend to under estimate the car and you may start seeing the front end of most cars close to your rear but seeing as you drive a micra already you will be used to that.

The car is amazing and is well worth a purchase. The more you drive it the more you'll love it!!! Any further more specific queries?
Hi there. I have just purchased said car and I wondered if you had encountered excess revving between the gears or “racing” between the gears. Especially lower gears?

I find the biting point on the clutch rather high and maybe it’s that causing the issue and my getting used to it!

I am not keen to test out the pace for fear of this over revving.

Any thoughts?

Anti stall and throttle position calibration. One you get used to, the other you need to run a reset.

Back