Sloshing / spurting noises behind console?

Hi I've recently done a coolant change in my K12, as well as pull the leaf litter from the bottom of my fenders.

There is now a strange spurting noise from behind the the console (as if a liquid is being pumped out of a hose) when the car is started and revved.

The more you rev the more pressure is behind the spurting.

The location of noise is somewhere between the front of the transmission and the passenger glove compartment.

There is nothing leaking out underneath and the car drives normally.

But each corner you take you can hear liquid sloshing around somewhere around the firewall.

Anyone have any ideas?

The rainwater drain is clear and the car isn't overheating.

Thanks!

So I took the car to a mechanic and he said there is air somewhere in the system.

He drained the coolant and refilled it but it is still making the same gurgling noises behind the firewall.

The mechanic rang Nissan who said it is very rare but air can get trapped and it needs to work its way out - apparently it's very common in Subarus.

I tried taking the car for a 300km journey with the heater on hot for a lot of the trip.

Anyone have any tips to get the air out before I drain the coolant again and very slowly refill the system?

We have a vacumm coolant bleeder at work, fantastic bit of kit. Goes on top of the expansion bottle/rad cap and drags the air out of tne system then forces the coolant in. Never had any issues using it maybe find a garage with this or look into it yourself?

It does sound like air in the system. Does heater work all the time? On my micra you have to disconnect the top heater matrix hose to let air out while filling up the coolant at the reservoir. When you see water at the heater hose reconnect it and you should then have no air in the system.

It does sound like air in the system. Does heater work all the time? On my micra you have to disconnect the top heater matrix hose to let air out while filling up the coolant at the reservoir. When you see water at the heater hose reconnect it and you should then have no air in the system.
I always fill mine from the rad cap. I never had an expansion tank.

The OEM thermostats had a one way valve which allowed trapped air to escape from the system. Most other stats don't have this,

Back