silicone brake fluid

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
hi, i need to know if the micra brake system can take silicone fluid. i have heard that some systems can not be used whith this kind of brake fluid. any help appreciated.

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
k11 micra.
silcone fluid never needs changing as it doesnt absorb water. its more stable becasue of that and also can take more temperature increase than equivilent normal fluid.

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
I see...

I dont see why you couldnt run it, just as long as you have totally flushed the old fluid out.

I'd actually be inclined to call Nissan Australia and see if the rubber seals in the brake system have been tested with silicone fluid though...

CMF_kneival

» CMF Member
Is silicone brake fluid DOT 5?

I had a quick look on the net and most say dont use it.

Basically any water will not merge with the fluid and will therefore sink to the lowest point - Your calipers! Apparently the DOT 5 is hard to pour and has many bubbles in the fluid which gives a spongy brake feel.

They also say its very hard to change back from DOT 5 once you have filled your system with it.

The only reason you need to change DOT 3/4 fluid is because it does absorb water, but this doesnt matter as it contains anti corrosive to prevent any damage to the system.

How come you want to change? Is it just because you dont need to change the brake fluid every few years? By looking at the stats the boiling point of DOT 5 is only 50 degrees higher than DOT 4!

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
i am going to upgrade my fluid at same time as fitting goodridge hoses. the idea of not ever chaning fluid appealed to me, and dot 5 seemed better than dot 4 anyway.
the one i was looking at has 260 degree boiling point. another bonus is that its not flammable. but i will get some adive from a garage and mention the fact of the settling in the calipers and of the bubbles.

CMF_micrat

» CMF Member
SILICONE brake fluid is NOT COMPATABLE with normal brake fluid. To convert to silicone fluid it is common practice to remove and strip the complete hydraulic braking system, I mean every thing- master cylinder, calipers, wheel cylinders(drum brake), abs pump(if fitted), load sensing/proportioning valves etc. Everything is then striped and thoroughly cleaned all the seals, cups, rubbers are recommended to be replaced and the components reassembled. Then you need to flush out all the lines/hoses with a recommended brake cleaner. After all this you can refit your brakes, fill the system with fluid and bleed the system. This entire proceedure is the recommended normal practice when changing either to or from silicone brake fluid. Do you think all this effort is worth it? NOT!! This is why DOT 5.1 brake fluid came about. It is compatible, it is HIGH TEMP normal fluid.

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
to be precise its going to be Motul racing brake fluid. which is far better temp range than any normal rated fluid. its non silicone. any idea if i need more than 500ml?

CMF_micrat

» CMF Member
500ml if you are lucky will do the job, but 1 litre would be better. Use a syringe to remove as much brake fluid as possible from the fluid resevoir on the master cylinder and refill with the new motul fluid, start bleeding the brakes. Run through as much fluid as you can afford, to make sure that you have flushed the old fluid out of the system.

Back