Basic Fluid Change

Hey guys,

I've just bought a nifty little K11 1999 1.3 16V with just 69k kms on the clock. Even though the car had been serviced in the official dealership where it was bought, I must say the had done a really flimsy job so I want to change every fluid and every filter in the car.

So my questions are as following:

5W40 SM/CF should be fine, right?

What kind of gearbox oil does it require - 75W90 GL4 should be ok? And should I make sure that it ISN'T GL5 or it doesn't matter? I'm not really familiar what these GLs mean and what's their use.

What kind of coolant should I use? Currently there's some green/blue-ish stuff so I would say that's the G11. So I can just buy any green G11 fluid or does it need some special type?

PAS fluid? I know it needs a "Dexron type" but as a heavy VW group user I've never heard about such PAS fluid, I've only bought "the red ATF one..". All I know is that currently it is filled with a green fluid. BTW and how about the whole PAS fluid change process? Where do I bleed it and how do I release any trapped air?

Brake fluid is probably DOT4 so any DOT4 will do the trick. How about the bleeding process? Just standard pushing the brake pedal and opening the nipple on the caliper?

Thanks

frank

Club Member
its all down to personal choice basically mate, for instance, some members will only put the most expensive gearoil and friction conditioners into their g/box, i personally fill mine with unbranded engine oil

Yeah, I've just ordered Total 5W40 which is quite cheap, but still reliable engine oil and I use it for every petrol car in my carpark and a Valvoline 75W90 GL4-only transmission oil, I'm sure it will do the trick.

As the antifreeze I've ordered a moderately price unbranded green/blue G11 and as the brake fluid an unbranded DOT4 fluid. I'm pretty sure you don't have to buy the most expensive stuff on the market if you use your car for normal every day driving and if you change the fluids regularly.

Although still not sure what kind of PAS fluid will I use or how will I change it...

h701micra

Deactivated Account
PAS fluid is normally dexron 2

As frank has said its all personal preference

I know that if you have blue/green antifreeze you can't mix with red
Other than that it's all fairly straightforward

At the vendor where I buy all the fluids I've only found one oil named Liqui Molly 3100 that has these specifications
Dexron II D
MB 236.3
ZF TE-ML 03D, 04D, 09, 11, 14A, 17C

every other has some PSA recommendations and other specifications, but doesn't say anything about Dexron.. I guess this should do the trick

Daaamn, you were right! I was able to find numerous oils with the Dexron specifications in that categoery.. And so it doesn't matter whether I would buy Dexron II or III?

BTW what's the changing interval for PAS fluid and tranny oil? 5-8 years?

h701micra

Deactivated Account
I change all fluids every 2 years at the latest. But mine being a competition car they usually get changed every event

I find two years as a reasonable interval for the coolant and brake fluid change, but not so sure about the PAS and tranny oil. But of course, if your is all the time under a heavy load you can spoil it with all the new fluids more frequently than us normal users

h701micra

Deactivated Account
I find two years as a reasonable interval for the coolant and brake fluid change, but not so sure about the PAS and tranny oil. But of course, if your is all the time under a heavy load you can spoil it with all the new fluids more frequently than us normal users
Aye its gotta be on top of its game :)

5 years for the daily use would seem appropriate for pas and gbox oil