Side Indicators

Krian

Fear me, for I am Onibaku
Anyone know if your side indicators have to stick out slightly from the side of the car? I've been staring at every car I go past but none of them seem to have completely flush indicators.

So anyone know if its an MOT requirement?

Krian said:
Anyone know if your side indicators have to stick out slightly from the side of the car? I've been staring at every car I go past but none of them seem to have completely flush indicators.

So anyone know if its an MOT requirement?
some1 told me that you do not have to have sidelights, but is you have them they must be working and be visible...........

i have looked at this befor and clio v6's with the triangle shape do not seem to........
http://motor.tuportada.com/img/wp/renault-clio-v6-23.jpg
http://motor.tuportada.com/img/wp/renault-clio-v6-13.jpg

Detox the clio v6's do actually stick out, but its no where near as much as any others, the reason they stick out a bit is so that you can remove the cover to replace the side repeater bulb. (not sidelights btw - it is a legal requirement to have those lol)

Still fails it's MOT and if the traffics stop you and do a lights check and they are inop then they can issue you points and a fine = illegal.

K10Daz said:
Still fails it's MOT and if the traffics stop you and do a lights check and they are inop then they can issue you points and a fine = illegal.

for the sidelights but not the side repeaters.

you do not need your side repeaters but if you have them then they must be clearly visible from the SIDE of the car. MOT failed me on tinted side repeaters but if you look at some cars they have LED lights that only point outwards from the side of the car.

BUT it is always good to have plenty of indicators so that its clearly visible which direction you are turning... the new civic boasts that there are always at least 3 indicator lights visible from any angle.

if you want to make your car smooth then relocate them to the wing mirrors rather than ditch them all together, but if you want something different and have flush lights then just try and make them as bright as possible ;)

K10Daz said:

how so? You don't need lights in the day time. When you do need them, you don't use the car.

Ian said:
how so? You don't need lights in the day time. When you do need them, you don't use the car.

i think what he is saying is that if a police man found you driving during the day in a car with no sidelights they probably would fine you....

the idea of side lights are 1 as a backup for your headlights so that even if your bulb goes people don't think your a motorbike and 2 if you park in a place with no street lights at night, you are supposed to leave your sidelights on so that people can see your car....

i wonder if you could get away with driving a car with no headlights at all. in theory as long as you drove during the day only, you wouldn't need a front end on your car :D

Alienfish360 said:
I thought that's what the reflectors were for :p

oops sorry, yea its for if you have to park the wrong way round like if there is a passing place on a narrow country lane and you have to park on the wrong side of the road so the front of the car is facing oncoming traffic. the lights are small to save power so its ok to leave them on.

i know on bikes you can get special day use only mot's, not sure if you can get them for cars though, but i suppose it's possible.

silver_si said:
i know on bikes you can get special day use only mot's, not sure if you can get them for cars though, but i suppose it's possible.

i bet the insurance love that lol, imagine trying to convince an insurance company that you will only drive during the day lol

Ian said:

I agree with you not needing your lights during the day..but how many people have been stopped during the day - and been asked for a lights check - i know i have several times. Your MOT is carried out during the day - unless you work for Weir Mercedes (24H workshop) and your lights are tested then arent they?

Like rear seatbelts - even if you dont carry rear passengers - if they are there they still need to be in good working order dont they

K10Daz said:
Like rear seatbelts - even if you dont carry rear passengers - if they are there they still need to be in good working order dont they

I don't have rear seatbelts either!!! LOL

Ems said:
I don't have side repeaters, as standard!! :D

Yes you did but you took them off! They might not have been on the wing but they were still visible from the side

Arnold said:
Yes you did but you took them off! They might not have been on the wing but they were still visible from the side

Stop spoiling my fun!! I thought the main topic was on the side ones on the wing? :p

Back