Should i or Shouldn't i?

Allan

Ex. Club Member
I purchased alloys + 30mm lowering springs from Zoidberg a couple weeks back.

Now my Dad was a mechanic for 20 odd years so anything needing fitted etc, my dad either does it or shows me how.

He doesn't want to fit the springs until the next service in 4000 miles, incase the shocks break when trying to get the bolts out.

Should i put the alloys on without lowering it until then? Even though it will be too high do you think it will improve the look of the car rather than the normal micra wheels with wheel trims on?

I really can't make my mind up.

Why not just do a service early ;)

Can't see why the shocks would break trying to get the bolts out?? Especially if he knows what he's doing....

He says that they are quite bad for being stuck in. He gave quite a thorough explanation.

When we changed the wishbone it took almost 40mins to get the bolt out with heating etc. Think he is talking along those sort of lines.

i guess is ur on about the bolts to the wheel go nissan order new ones if they break :D but their quite tough need awful elbow grease n lots of sqealing n it come off lol but the other bolts r the ones in engine bay they will snap if over tightened i think as they feel weak but one of the worse is the centre bolt thing if u know what i mean thats a annoying thing n u usually screw the centre thing on the strut trying to get it out

Aye, ive done it to 5 k11s at least, some of them at least 10 years old, and they come off with a breakerbar, or some brute force...

This is a quote from my Dad about it.

"the two bolts through the front shocker that attach to the vertical link sometimes need heat to remove"

"the rear lower shocker bolts sometimes seize within the bush and have to be burned out, destroying the bush. thus you have to replace the shocker as the bushes cannot be bought on their own"

fit em and see (wheels) hold on mate i've got a pic of what they are like on my micra before it was lowered. i'll find it and you can decided :)

there you are mate

Attachments

• new wheels.JPG
    new wheels.JPG
    543.4 KB · Views: 179
Korizin said:
This is a quote from my Dad about it.

"the two bolts through the front shocker that attach to the vertical link sometimes need heat to remove"

"the rear lower shocker bolts sometimes seize within the bush and have to be burned out, destroying the bush. thus you have to replace the shocker as the bushes cannot be bought on their own"

what ever u do now or in 4000 miles ur still gonna encounter same problems if any so just do it like i said tho if u do break the front bolts get new ones from nissan or such but imo if u had 2 breaker bars(dont need 2 but just going bit extreme lol) that bolt would shift without needing heat treatment

in the end just do it no point in saying "this could happen that could happen" just c if it does happen or not lol

Difference is, in 4000 miles we will have paid for the ramp to do a service. If we do it now and then encounter the problems it could be a wasted journey.

I don't have the cash for the shocks, if i wait til the service my Dad will pay.

Ian said:
may as well put the alloys on now though. Its only for another 4000 miles. :)
wouldnt bother, your car will look like a 4X4 and handle like a boat - just wait for the lot

Big_ben said:
wouldnt bother, your car will look like a 4X4 and handle like a boat - just wait for the lot
Mine's on stock springs and shocks with 15s and handles fine! Granted it looks a bit high, but 4X4 is taking it a bit far!

It also does have a strut brace, but I tell you, 195/45/15 Toyo T1-Rs certainly handle better than stock 155/70/13 wheels with crap tyres!

Attachments

• DSC00338 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00338 (Medium).JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 143
James said:
Mine's on stock springs and shocks with 15s and handles fine! Granted it looks a bit high, but 4X4 is taking it a bit far!

It also does have a strut brace, but I tell you, 195/45/15 Toyo T1-Rs certainly handle better than stock 155/70/13 wheels with crap tyres!

Mine's also on standard springs and 15's with 185/45/15 and handles loads better than with 155/70/13's.

Just put your wheels on for now I would, apart from it looking a little high it's not quite as bad as 4x4 imo

Back